The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Apex or HKS air filters.

SupraStar 3000

Hi,

Anyone have experience (positive or negative) regarding Apex and/or HKS air filters.

Apex - Power Intake

HKS - Super Power Flow

Not sure which to buy.

The Apex seems to get better reviews and is cheaper, but the HKS looks cool and is more popular.

Application on a:

Supra Mk4 - (NA)

BLITZ - NUR SPEC S EXHAUST (maybe relevant to choice)

1993 (Import) Gearbox Automatic

Engine type 2JZ-GE (Model JZA80) 6 cylinder - 3,0 litre 24 valve

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Ed

http://www.david.c.c.btinternet.co.uk/Resources/suprastar.jpeg

http://www.suprastar.org/

The HKS filter was slaughtered by the Apexi in a test which you might be able to get a link to on mkiv.com.

The Apexi is also a dry type filter so less chance of filter oil clogging up the intake as compared to say a K&N.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!

I'm sceptical regarding those performance gains, unless you fit a really good airbox, you ever felt the heat from the engine that gets blow onto those intakes (it defeats the object), I'm suprised more people don't experience performance loss.

Would be interesting to hear if any realistic tests have been done in the UK, not just marketing hype!

I took mine off (Apexi) and fitted a TRD filter into the standard box, the Supra breathes fine up to 500 Bhp (so say the experts), you would be better of spending the money elsewhere.

I went back to a stock box and Tom's panel filter after suffering heat enduced lag on the track unless I took the lamp out. No problems with heat in the induction system with the stock box. Uninsulated under bonnet air filters are a total waste of time and money IMHO unless bling is your thing.

I used to have the hks on mine but swapped to the apexi.

Think unless your after bigger bhp stick with the stock airbox as the only real + is looks.

I dont think you get any gain in bhp and also poorer filtration whichever filter you use.

Doe's anyone know what sort of bhp you can get to useing the stock airbox ?

Also can you get differant filters for the stk airbox or just o/e ?

Regards

Dunk