The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre advice.

Bobbeh

I'm in need of a replacement set of rears.. went a 'bit' sideways around a roundabout today, so I decided to get them checked out. Legal limit approaching and as Im off to Germany next month I want to get some decent rubber on anyway.

So.. Currently I'm on 285/30/RZ18's.. Pirrellis.. with the same tyre at 35 one the front. My rear wheels are 10 inch wide.

Sorry I dont know what the hell i started talking about here (so could I even squeeze on 19's?) I mean 295's

I really want GSD3 Eagle F1's but the only size they do them in wide enough for my preferences are 285/35/RZ18 and NOT in the 30's height.

If I went for these, (I notice the wall height difference has changed) is this going compromise the ride/handling/alignment etc (ie height compared to the fronts)? Or am I being just thinking too much :)

Cheers.

Squeeze 19's? Are you replacing the tyre's or the wheels??

Best combo of pirelli's is the 235/40/ZR18 and 265/35/ZR18's. The extra 20mm at the back is hardly relevant and prolly extremely expensive...how often do you get near enough the limit to feel the benefit?

stick to the pirelli's. as you guessed - i am not a fan of the goodyears too much ......... my 2p is all ..... :)

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Pirelli&tiremodel=P%2DZero+Corsa

better still - michelin pilot sport cups ............yyuuuummmmm !!!

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Michelin&tiremodel=Pilot%AE+Sport+Cup

alternative's ?

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch.asp

Im not changing the wheels, just the tyres, my only real question (simplified) was will keeping the fronts at 35's and changing the back's to 35's (from 30's) also mess things up?

Roy, I love the Pirrellis in the dry, but in the wet I'm not impressed, and they wear quick compared to the Goodyears. (imho)

Originally posted by Roy

stick to the pirelli's. as you guessed - i am not a fan of the goodyears too much ......... my 2p is all ..... :)

better still - michelin pilot sport cups ............yyuuuummmmm !!!

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Michelin&tiremodel=Pilot%AE+Sport+Cup

Dry weather only tyre....only has tread to get an "E" mark. Might as well run a full slick! lol

might as well run these

Ta Alex, other than the widths that are too narrow the tyre hieghts look fine. (Im on 9 inch wide at front and 10 at back btw)

245/35/RZ18 (front), and 285/30/RZ18 (rears)

Is there any reson in particular why the fronts are usually having tyre higher walls, is it to support the extra weight of the engine for breaking? Or could it be a ride heigh/alignment thing?

Bobbeh, the sidewalls aren't higher, that 35 is a percentage of the tyre overall width, so if the tyre is narrower, the %age has to increase to get the same height sidewall :)

What's all this "squeeze on 19's" business? You've got 18" rims, it would be the opposite of squeezing but you might have trouble getting the air to stay in :D

-Ian

The middle no. is a ratio to the width...if you have a 265/35/18 and want to increase to a 285 rear you would decrease the 35 to a 30 to maintain the right sidewall height.

The middle figure is a percentage or ratio (can't remeber which) not a distance.

Bob to get the best speedo match to stock wheels and tyres on a UK car 18’s Alex is right. You only get a 1% error on the 265’s or about half a mile an hour faster than a dial indicated 60 while your current set up will have you doing 62 at a dial indicated 60. This of course assumes your Speedo is accurate.

Well that shows how much I know, I thought the 30/35/40/45 rating was the percentage of the wheel size ie 17 or 18 not the width of the tyre. Now I understand why the backs are a different profile number tyre to the fronts. I really thought that the backs rolling radius was smaller than the front for some reason lol.

As far as tyres go the bridgstone potenza's are also worth considering dunno if they do the size you are looking for. Helpfull InnI??

Originally posted by dangerous brain

As far as tyres go the bridgstone potenza's are also worth considering dunno if they do the size you are looking for. Helpfull InnI?? [/b]

Used to use potenza's but switched to Toyo proxes IMO they grip and handle better in all conditions. (and they wear better too)