The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coolant hose question

The-Plethora

Really quick question but since I have had the supra it's been pissing coolant all over the place from the elbow joints, I have tried several times tightening it up but it just seems to move the leak. I think the silicon hose is ever so slightly larger than it needs to be, might be able to see on the pics where it has dripped on the alternator (not good).

I have ordered some propper decent do-luck hoses from sumo power for the supra which should just fit on with jubilee clips but I have only seen a stock picture of the hoses in question.

Is the metal elbow joint there for any specific purpose or is it just engine bling? If I can get a straight through hose I would prefer to use that as its only 2 hose joins to worry about rather than 4, but if it is in any way functional please let me know.

The post has been terrible here because of the snow and I ordered the hose a while back and havent driven the car much.

Cheers for any help.

Dave

I had a similar problem with the coolant leaking but only when the engine was hot and it was under pressure it used to drip out got right on my nerves!

Turned out to be that the clips just needed tightening but they look too tight now so they may need changing to the next size down!

What hoses have you ordered do you have a link??

These are the hose I ordered (slightly cheaper direct from Sumo Power), it's a generic picture though. Fairly expensive but at this point I don't give a toss as long as it fits and does not leak. I have bought a bunch of different size clips to secure all the hoses rather than the expanding type.

And really, it goes with the rest of the Do-Luck kit so that plays a part ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270498342888&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i used samco for top & bottom hoses ,with no problems. fen sport, if my memory is correct -£64 deliverd . on the shelf ,next day delivery

Thats what i think ill end up going with to be honest as i will probably end up getting the full turbo hose kit as well in black so it all matches :)