The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my turbo has died :(

L33

hey guys need some advice. just had this email from the garage so more bad news :(

is it worth buying a new gt4088 or getting mine repaired? i cant go for a smaller turbo as i have the 3800 high stall for that size turbo

Some more bad news im affraid. We wanted to fit your egt probe yesterday, we made the decission to fit it in the turbo exhaust housing. To fit it we removed the turbo form the manifold and seperated the two sides of the turbo with the aim of drilling and tapping the exhauts side of the turbo to fit the probe, once we opened up the turbo we found some nasties. The blade on the exhaust wheel are badly damaged, I have taken some pics that I will send over, the damage is serious and extensive and i doubt this turbo will make more than a few psi of boost. The stupid thing is the turbo to manifold gasket used was the wrong type, the one fitted was for a twin scroll turbo meaning the gasket had a devider ( not present on your turbo) the dividing section has simple burnt away and is most likely what killed the blades, loose bits of exhaust gasket in that area is not good.

Will send over the pics soon.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a BW?

its all come of a bad time and money is mega tite, think ryan has just sold his gt4088 for like 500 quid, that would of been perfect! cant really afford much more

BW = Borg Warner

Ryan is running on his motor, Locky has one on his built MR2, Whiffin is looking at supplying them with his turbo kits and I will at some point hopefully be trying one out on my setup.

They are sub £1k brand new and only oil cooled so you dont have to worry about running any water lines.

well i bought a supra from a member on here that had engine problems and used bits towards my build so the turbo and manifold came off as one unit then when on mine so who ever fitted it on the car i bought, was a lot of badly done things on that car i bought

Who fitted the divided gasket incorrectly ?

:yeahthat:

Would be worth going back to the place which fitted this with the information from the guys currently doing the work. Sorry to hear this Lee, hope you get it all sorted with minimum hassle.

Really sorry to hear this mate, I know all about constant problems and how expensive they are, I kept on throwing money at my single, the several stock or BPU cars I had in the mean time never gave me any problems as it happens

Choice is do you stick with it or sell and move on, I would stick a turbo on it and decided then, dont rush the decision as it will see you loose a fortune to sell as it is :)

Thats bad news mate, has the GT4088 got the Garrett or the Precision exhaust housing? as the Garrett one is known for causing that kind of damage to the exhaust turbine, due to being the wrong material for a petrol engine, they are meant for diesels, the Precision one is the correct material.

However the divided gasket would also have been a major contributing factor in any case.

IMO you would be better off the the BW unit as others have said, as getting the GT40 turbines replaced and core rebuilt + maybe another exhaust housing would probably equal the new cost.

a few of you have mentioned the borg warner turbos,

when i was shopping for a new tubby i was told to stay away fron cheap turbos as they will nasty tat. so i ended up buying a gt4088

are these the turbos in question. and if so why so cheap?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Borg-Warner-T04E-Turbo-1-15-A-R-171430_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58847d0aeeQQitemZ380179909358QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

a few of you have mentioned the borg warner turbos,

when i was shopping for a new tubby i was told to stay away fron cheap turbos as they will nasty tat. so i ended up buying a gt4088

are these the turbos in question. and if so why so cheap?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Borg-Warner-T04E-Turbo-1-15-A-R-171430_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58847d0aeeQQitemZ380179909358QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Nope, you want a BW Airwerks S3xx range tubby ;)