The mkiv Supra Owners Club

broken J-Spec Break Calipers ?

Guest benb

Guest benb

Hi all

this is my first post.

Im in australia and recently got my first supra, a 93 NA with veilside kit,

Im loving it. :p

I have just replaced all the plugs and fluids and was bleeding all the old break fluid out.

When I came to bleed the 2 front calipers, I found that BOTH the calipers broke when I undid the bleed valves !!!

basically the cast iron housing that the bleed valves screw into sheared away from the calipers !!

Has anyone else come across this ? is this a design fault or related to something else ?

1 broken caliper I could put down to bad luck, but both breaking seems too much. Are the standard front calipers on the NA supra THAT poor quality or am I just unlucky ?

on a better note, I have found that the 91 toyota Soarer calipers are the same and have swapped my broken ones out.

I never sell repair kits, in my experience once a caliper is seized / seizing there will be bore corossion, and a new or PROPER exchange caliper is the only long term fix. I sell German rebuilt rears, totally indistinguishable from new, and am negotiating for them to tool up for fronts. The Lexus ones available here from the likes of brake Engineering have incorrect piston sizes for the Supra. The ones I sell have the correct piston size so do not alter brake bias, which is what running a larger (or smaller) than stock piston diameter caliper will do. These calipers are about 98 quid each and come with new slider pin boots. I have stock.

Guest benb

well yes I was also VERY suprised to find the cast iron break on both calipers.

And it didnt take much force, just the normal pressure you use to undo the bleed valves,

I'll try to get a photo up tonight my time.

I just picked up another caliper from the wreckers today so when I get home from work, Im gonna fit that and then what should have been a simple break line flush will finally be over...$430AUD later :(