The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best wheel / tyre size, and offsets with CW suspension ?????

JimC

Guys,

I have been around this loop so many times and never really gotten a solid answer. :rolleyes:

I would like to work out my options in terms of wheel size, tyre size and offsets for my supra for a relatively aggresive wheelbase.

I have CW suspension and currently run 19" wheels.

Tyres are 235 35 and 265 30.

The tyres are quite a tight fit on the wheel such that there is basically no overhang and the wheel is the widest running part, not the tyre (if that makes sense)? What i mean is with a thicker profile tyre, the tyre will bulge slightly and may even protrude out very slighty further than the actual rim on the wheel.

I feel that my wheels could quite easily sit out another 5mm without trimming the arches, and 10mm if the arches are trimmed.

Therefore my quesiton is...

Does anyone have CW suspension, with 19" wheels? If so, what are the wheel / tyre sizes and associated offsets?

If not, does anyone have CW suspension with 18" wheels and the same question?

Thanks

Jim

Have you asked CW ?

Dont be surprised if he gives you a bit of grief on the 19" Wheels and a greater off set though :D

I know Chris is against 19" wheels with his suspension and there is a lot of talk about the terrible handling with 19" wheels. Yes i agree totally if we are talking about a track car and optimum performance set-up, but on a road car I personally dont push the car to the limit where i would notice the difference.

It may well be worth asking though. Like you both say, it's as good a point to start as any other!

does anyone have CW suspension with 18" wheels and the same question?

Thanks

Jim

I suspect Chris will recommend lightweight 17" wheels with stock offsets.

I have a CW suspension setup and 18's.

9x18 et35 with 245/35/18 front

10x18 et35 with 285/35/18 rear

I run slightly different size tyres in summer, if you go with the same setup as me you will need to roll/trim the lip on the rear arch's.

Ive not pushed the CW suspension setup to hard yet but first impressions are very good, soaks up the bumps nicely and still feels firm enough when i get going, look forward to testing it out on track, ive had four different suspension setups on the car from basic to very expensive and this feels best by far. only thing for me is its a little to low even on the highest setting but i can just about live with it.

I suspect Chris will recommend lightweight 17" wheels with stock offsets.

I have a CW suspension setup and 18's.

9x18 et35 with 245/35/18 front

10x18 et35 with 285/35/18 rear

I run slightly different size tyres in summer, if you go with the same setup as me you will need to roll/trim the lip on the rear arch's.

Ive not pushed the CW suspension setup to hard yet but first impressions are very good, soaks up the bumps nicely and still feels firm enough when i get going, look forward to testing it out on track, ive had four different suspension setups on the car from basic to very expensive and this feels best by far. only thing for me is its a little to low even on the highest setting but i can just about live with it.

Jamie,

I think you're right abour Chris's recomendation!:D

I hva efound the suspension set up spot on. You're exactly right that it's hard enough when you push and copes perfectly at lower speeds. I have not had any issues with rubbing or bottoming and i really do love the set up.

It's interesting reading what you run with the 18 inch wheels and i may well be tempted by a similar set up having already sounded a local company out with regards to trimming the arches.

It's interesting reading what you run with the 18 inch wheels and i may well be tempted by a similar set up having already sounded a local company out with regards to trimming the arches.

You shouldn't have to trim the arches if you stay close to stock offsets and tyre widths.

Artch enemy is attending the wheels in motion meet if want a day out and your arch's rolled, as nic says i suspect a +50 offset will clear the lip but imo they look a bit lame.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=206005

Artch enemy is attending the wheels in motion meet if want a day out and your arch's rolled, as nic says i suspect a +50 offset will clear the lip but imo they look a bit lame.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=206005

Good idea Jamie, but unfortunately Im in the states for a few weeks at the end of Jan and into Feb! Bugger! I may give them a call to discuss it though.

Thanks guys

To answer you question. Definately stay +50 offset and in general keep everything as close to stock as possible. 17" is best, 18" can work, 19" is bad, bad, bad. To my understanding increasing the width of the wheel/tyre combo is ok, but don't mess with the offset. Also go as light as possible and get the right spigot size to avoid using a ring.

I've researched this quite a bit since I'm looking for wheels that will satisfy these demands without having to get them specially build at huge cost.

Moving away from the above will compromise handling in the form of tramlining and so on. This will affect daily driveability as well as even pose a danger in relation to spigot hole as well as adding wear and tear to the car by changing offset.

To answer you question. Definately stay +50 offset and in general keep everything as close to stock as possible. 17" is best, 18" can work, 19" is bad, bad, bad. To my understanding increasing the width of the wheel/tyre combo is ok, but don't mess with the offset. Also go as light as possible and get the right spigot size to avoid using a ring.

I've researched this quite a bit since I'm looking for wheels that will satisfy these demands without having to get them specially build at huge cost.

Moving away from the above will compromise handling in the form of tramlining and so on. This will affect daily driveability as well as even pose a danger in relation to spigot hole as well as adding wear and tear to the car by changing offset.

The offset on my current 19" wheels are 35mm and the general concensus after discussing with Ibrar is going no less than 30mm for the widest possible wheel base. I understand about optimum settings...you only have to think about how many years R+D were put into the Supra, so no one can argue that 17" wheels are best. However, i have had my wheels on for 2 years, and prior to that i had 18" wheels. I personally dont notice much difference. Yes, if you hit a tram in the road, it follows more aggressively, but other than that the the difference i have noticed is minimal.

I agree 100% about spiggot rings and to avoid where possible. The problem i have is that to maintain a 50 offset with a wide aggressive wheel base, some pretty wide (and expensive) wheels are required!:blink:

I read loads into offsets and wheel sizes when I was buying my wheels. Sure 19's are frowned upon, but I think this is down to people sticking the bigger wheels on and then doing nothing about it. The ride height will need to be addressed as the center of gravity for the car will be higher, then the geometry will need to be adjusted as a result. My car now runs 19's, with a 44 offset on the rear (10" wide so doesn't look pants) and after the ride height and geo were adjusted, I feel confident in saying that the handling hasn't been compromised at all.

Well, its also down to how you use your car but all of these things are very very subjective. I do trust Chris in what he says as he is one of the few here that has the experience to actually base something on it. The rest of us just have our own car and the tendency to think what we do is always the best.

But what Toyota chose and build the car around is hard to argument against. Even though new technology has appeared, that doesnt mean that the old is compatible in every way. Yes today suspensions suspension are build to handle 19"+ and more aggressive offsets but hey, the supra design is close to 20 years old.

I'm looking at ForgeLine.com or ImageWheels.co.uk, both which actually gives to possibility of designing your own wheel exactly as you would like.