The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Super or just unleaded ?

trebor69

Bought my car in nov , N/A J spec unmodded and didn't think about fuel , just kept putting unleaded in it .......especially with the price of super but something i just read on HOMER'S classified has got me thinking ..........should i be running it on super ? Will unleaded lead to excessive engine wear / damage ?

Edited by trebor69
spelling (see edit history)

Erm, which 'classified'? 95 ron will be fine on an NA, I hope I've never said otherwise! It's only the turbocharged jspecs that need the higher octane fuel.

I'm sorry HOMER , i do beg your pardon for my wild mistaken accusations , lol , it was MAWBY's classified .:innocent:

Actually its an interesting point, as in theory the N/A being a higher compression engine, and also mapped for the Japanese market so 100 RON fuel, it should really be run on super,

I doubt you would notice any difference in normal everyday driving, but i suspect that at high RPMs it may well see a little det, and the ECU will keep switching to a default timing map, so a good few BHP could be lost as a result.

I run on 97, sometimes put 99 in and sometimes the old 95. Not really noticed a diffrence

Well this is what i was wondering .......it seems to run very well ........apart from reaching 2k on first start up before it warms and i've only used unleaded . I wonder if that is why ?????? Prob not.:)

Actually its an interesting point, as in theory the N/A being a higher compression engine, and also mapped for the Japanese market so 100 RON fuel, it should really be run on super,

I doubt you would notice any difference in normal everyday driving, but i suspect that at high RPMs it may well see a little det, and the ECU will keep switching to a default timing map, so a good few BHP could be lost as a result.

Yes i'd read about this 100 RON in japan and being a jspec ??????;)

Seeing as how a lot of the J-specs on the site would have been manufactured around 1994 are we sure that 100 RON fuel was readily available in Japan at that time?

If not, then they obviously could not have tuned them to accept it.

I know that super does seem lots more expensive but have you actually looked at the difference in price in a tank of fuel?

In your mind it is a big difference, in reality it's very little. If you feel the difference in price between super and regular a supra probably isn't the best bet.

For what it's worth I think regular is absolutely fine on all variants of car as long as it is for every day driving. For high RPM or proper on boost driving I wouldn't fancy anything but super/vpower etc in my car.

Seeing as how a lot of the J-specs on the site would have been manufactured around 1994 are we sure that 100 RON fuel was readily available in Japan at that time?

Being a 94 car , surely unleaded would have been the fuel ......wasn't 4 star still around then ?

I know that super does seem lots more expensive but have you actually looked at the difference in price in a tank of fuel?

In your mind it is a big difference, in reality it's very little. If you feel the difference in price between super and regular a supra probably isn't the best bet.

For what it's worth I think regular is absolutely fine on all variants of car as long as it is for every day driving. For high RPM or proper on boost driving I wouldn't fancy anything but super/vpower etc in my car.

It is my daily and i'm too old for lead foot driving .

It is my daily and i'm too old for lead foot driving .

In that case I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. Every now and again, when the weather is good, treat the old girl to the good stuff and take her for a blast.

That is what I would do :D

Not trying to be cheeky, but why? (assuming you drive an NA!)

It was in reply to jackso11's comment he uses 97 in his TT, it wasnt cheeky Homer:d , no I have a TT so yes 99 Optimax and its the nearest fuel stop to me. When I picked it up last week had to stop on the M25 and it was 1.26 per litre (robbing F*****S):blink:

Scotty

Edited by scotty71 (see edit history)

spot on. i started using a mix of e85 104 octane. 10 liters to a full tank good results and mpg

Yes i' pretty sure there fuel has always been higher RON due to the way its measured, similar to the US measurements.