The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Additional security measures

jim

I've just found out that I'm losing my parking space at work (tight buggers) and I'm not too happy at the thought of leaving my p&j in a car park in Belfast city centre. I've found a 'secure' carpark which is gated but unmanned, so I want to up my security a bit on the car. An alarm is grand if the car's parked nearby and in earshot, but not as much use in a public carpark.

I was thinking about a snap off kit for my wheel, I've got an ordinary boss that I've never fitted as I like the stock steering wheel, but would consider buying an aftermarket wheel and snap off boss if it was a good security measure. I imagine no wheel in place would be a good visual deterrant for the average 'opportunist' scumbag.

I've also been considering a 'kill switch' in the car somewhere, but imagine I'd need a spark to fit this for me.

Has/does anyone use either of the above measures for security, what are your thoughts or opinions on them, and are there any other more effective measures that I should be considering?

Ta! :)

If where you're thinking of parking the car is a dodgy area, then I'd either use public transport or buy some cheap runaround for traveling to work.

If that's out of the question, then perhaps an alarm with a microwave perimeter sensor to hopefully warn off someone before they make a closer move on the car. Some alarm systems can have the option of an additional wireless immobilser that can be hidden away somewhere in the car.

I'd say a snap off steering wheel and a kill switch hidden in the car to turn the fuel line on.

Also if it is close enough to where you work, the car can page you on the keyfob which you have. If you really want to spend some good money then you could find an alarm which will call\text when alarm goes off and also give you location of car.

I'd wire something from the battery to the door handle so if anyone touches it they get a 12v shock :)

You cannot get a shock from 12 volts, it would need to be boosted to at least a couple of hundred volts.

A mate did this many years ago . Someone tried the door handle, got a 400 volt shock, then put a dent in the door with his boot and ran off. After that my mate went back to just using a fuel cut switch!

Fit a Veilside kit ;)

lol :D

I think a switch and a snap off is probably overkill, it'll be one or the other and it sounds like the snap off is the winner as a visual deterrant.

I've done some reading on disklok's too and they seem to get good reviews, it would mean I could keep the stock wheel too. Anyone use one of these, and more importantly has anyone that uses one had their car stolen with it on?