The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Traders Sig's - Too Big ?

Sharpie

Are Traders sig's getting too big ?

A quick count shows we have 13 traders on here, only one has a single line with a link to their website. ALL the others have at least 4+ lines of text/blurb which, is getting bigger and bigger fonts as time goes by.........I'm sure this info could be stored in one place and a link in their sig to it ?

Ok, so I have been on dial-up for the last 7 days while in Europe but, use DSL at home so, no problem but, it got me thinking about the peeps on dial-up and also how much storage and bandwidth is being used for the same info over and over.

I'm not picking on any one trader here but, since we moved to the new 'Club' set-up last year with traders, now is the time to address this IMO and could keep club internet costs down now and in the future.

How many times do you see one/two lines of text as a response to a question and then 4+ lines of sig ?

Do we have many peeps on dial-up today ?

I guess traders could put their info in a banner like THOR ?

Just a thought!

Ok never one to disagree - duly reduced to 10 lines - thats twice what Syeds got on his - and I pay 25 times as much!

Better?

However if one also looks at the recent repetitive nature of posts about particular subjects than I am sure that you will find that this too could be condensed into one post?

:thumbs:

Originally posted by Paul E

Ok never one to disagree - duly reduced to 10 lines - thats twice what Syeds got on his - and I pay 25 times as much!

Better?

However if one also looks at the recent repetitive nature of posts about particular subjects than I am sure that you will find that this too could be condensed into one post?

:thumbs:

TBH Mate it don't bother me in the slightest......

.....I'm on ADSL. If it's slow for dial uppers, then just turn off the sigs.

Ben..

text makes bugger all difference to dialup speeds, you will find that the theme of the site and the smilies are whats taking so long to load on the site.

Text is a matter of bytes which on a 56k modem you should be download 56000bytes a second (give or take) -

The moving smilies etc are upwards of 7500bytes which would cause you a problem if there are lots, couple to that jpegs of a couple of hundred kilobytes and you have a problem.

A 5000 line sig in plain html/txt would only take a max of 4seconds to load and once it had loaded it, it would be cached by both your ISP and your local machine and each page you looked at containing a sig (in HTML) would be loaded from the cache not the site in which case it would load instantly.

So Paul E - a 5000 line sig? :p

Just my two penneth

(and the traders sigs are half that of some of the members I have seen), the traders pay a shed load of money to post - so I think a few lines of text is justifiable.

Guest Terry S

Silly as it sounds, I agree. The sigs have been an irritation to me for a while, especially as some talk Bollox anyway. I have only added mine to play the game. I will happily reduce to 1 line of advertising, normal size text, just with the web site, if the other traders agree.

Originally posted by Paul E

No just an aversion to bollox talked :thumbs:

Try not to read your own posts then.

I'm glad Terry has taken a more mature view on this. A traders sig needs a website, number and opening times. Their forum is for the rest, and that is what they pay their money for.

so the issue has gone from sympathy for dialup users to personal annoyance...hhmmmm

Personally I don't give a fuck either way as the sig's dont bother me and I'm not a trader...however.. if the sigs annoy you then do like terry and just bloody say so.

i dont mind been on broadband. know how bad it was on 56k.

some sigs are a bit big. you could make sigs in small font if you want to get lots of information. everyone knows who the traders are if they need to buy anything. been force fed with a companys name in your face all time can be off putting. and think on it as spam.

would it have been good to have a small set size sig pic so you dont get people going OTT with large fonts. even my sig is a bit big

Originally posted by Syed Shah

. Their forum is for the rest, and that is what they pay their money for.

As a newbie trader, I find that a little hard, I was a member of this forum long before I ever became or had thoughts about being a trader, I class myself more as a member than a trader.

If there's a ruling about sig's then thats fine, but there is always the option to turn them off in the control panel if they're not to people's liking.

To be fair mine is massive but I have never had any one say it was too big (the sig that is - leave it)

But you also have to take into account screen resolutions, I would imagine that anyone running 800*600 would need to stand 30ft away to be able to focus on more than one letter at a time. Although IMHO anyone running a screen res of that needs an eye test.

Kinda a pointless thread now.... if the sigs bother you then turn them off.

Originally posted by stealthhosts

Kinda a pointless thread now.... if the sigs bother you then turn them off.

Arrrrhhhhhh That's better.

Never knew you could turn them off.

When I want to contact the traders now, I can just switch the sig's back on - Job done!

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

would it have been good to have a small set size sig pic so you dont get people going OTT with large fonts. even my sig is a bit big

NO SIG PICS!

Don't even go there.

Just don't.

Text isnt an issue for speed (even for me on poxy 28800 bps rural dialup) but it's annoying when you have a series of one-liners separated by 10 lines of signature,

As for pics in sigs. That would make the forum pretty much unreadbale for me if everyone adopted them. Then again I could just turn them off but TBH I just can't see the point in them.