The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving during the winter season

Bugs

So, for a few years I've been quite interested in buying a Supra. One of the things, thats been keeping me back is driving it during the winter seasons.

How does your cars hold up with all that snow and frost? In Denmark, people like to use ALOT of salt on the roads, so I'm a bit affraid of rust etc.

I dont have the money atm. To buy a second car, and keep a Supra in a garage during the winter seasons, and some of me thinks its a shame to drive such a nice car when its winter.

So I would like to hear from some of the fearless people, who drives this car all year around. Are you having any problems with the cars condition after a winter season? Do you do anything special, to keep it top notch?

Thanks.

Supra is not too bad as long as you give the road respect if it is sub zero, my E55 was a nightmare in comparison, as for rust, the Supra is very resistant to rust and only a few spots cause issues (rear hatch around seals for one), I would not worry about it

If there is snow on the road most RWD cars will be very tricky

Tooquick >

Thanks. Its the rust I'm most worried about. I mean, keeping it out 24/7 in all kinds of weather. I dont know what that can do to a Supra. I was thinking about buying a cover for it though.

As for snow on the roads. Its not that often, that we got much snow on the roads. They're normally pretty fast to clear it and they usually salt, when the temperatures hit around 2 degrees celcius.

I just dont want a pile of rust sitting outside, if thats whats gonna happen if a Supra stays outside 24/7 :)

I dont use my current supra during the winter as i have a 2nd vehicle, but i did used to use my old supra. I cant comment on your weather conditions but over here as long as you takle things steady, which everyone has to if the conditions are that bad, then you shouldnt have any huge issues. But, a high power, rear wheel drive car with wide tyres is never going to function great :)

Keeping it in top condition will require regular washing with a strict routine to remove the salt especially on the wheels, arches, underbody etc. You will also want to make sure the underbody is kept well waxoyled. You would be advised to keep good protection up with regards to waxes/sealants on the paintwork and also the wheels to avoid corrosion.

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

Tooquick >

Thanks. Its the rust I'm most worried about. I mean, keeping it out 24/7 in all kinds of weather. I dont know what that can do to a Supra. I was thinking about buying a cover for it though.

As for snow on the roads. Its not that often, that we got much snow on the roads. They're normally pretty fast to clear it and they usually salt, when the temperatures hit around 2 degrees celcius.

I just dont want a pile of rust sitting outside, if thats whats gonna happen if a Supra stays outside 24/7 :)

There are many very nice looking rust free UK spec cars on here that have seen 15 old years of British roads including salt, snow, ice, rain, diry, potholes, sun (2-3days) and gritters, they in most cases have held up well, you will be fine, a cover would help but brings its own issues

Dean is right.

I personally think covers can be a good idea if you are worried about storing outside in the elements. Just make sure you buy a good quality, breathable one that fits correctly and has a soft fur/lambswool type lining on the inside to avoid scratches

Supra can rust over time with such exposure around wheel arches and the odd part here and there under the car.

Personally I always hose my car down after every drive drive in worse winter conditions with trf snow foam + pressure wash rinse. This helps to keep it all clean. Since I have bought mine, I have started to replace the odd part underneath and or clean it upa nd then give it a coat of hammerite paint and also start waxoyl.

With regards to driving in adverse conditions, I haven't had any issues as such. Drive with common sense and you should be fine. The Traction Control seems dim witted but but I adjust my dirivjng to compensate for this. It is mainly clueless morons on the roads that drive far too fast and or too close for the conditions that worry me in adverse conditons.

If I was abroad where adverse conditons are more frequent, I would most certainly look at fitting tyres suited to the conditions (such as all season or winter tyres) or fitting these to a spare set of alloy wheels.

I've had my car for about 5 years now, and it's been kept outside all the time in a driveway. For the most part it's been exposed to the elements, just slightly protected by walls on either side. I do have a cover for the car too, which was on for about 2 years while I was away in Madrid, but for all of that exposure to the elements, I don't think I have any sign of rust on the bodywork at all.

I think your biggest worry would be the actual driving in the snow and ice, it's a bit tricky (but then the same applies to any car really when conditions are very bad). But as most people have said above, if you drive with the respect that the car and conditions deserve, then it's just like any other car in bad weather.

Cheers, J