The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Scrap value?

Guest jdwals

Guest jdwals

Guys, any idea what the scrap value of a Supra is these days?

Just wanting to get an idea before getting on to my insurance company to close the deal on writing my one off and getting the claim settlement from the car getting flooded.

From most of what I can tell, the car would have been repairable but it seems the insurance company deemed it a write off for scrap only so they could get back a few pounds (or Euro in my case). Annoying me to no end that is.

She is a 1993 N/A manual, stock except for a set of aftermarket 18inch rims - no idea what make though.

No engine damage from the flood but interior fabrics ruined and probable electrics damage at this stage to some of the electrics in the footwell and possibly behind the dash.

Went to have a look at the car yesterday to make sure I had everything out of it and just to see it again - a sad sight. Unmarked on the outside but then you open it up and see mould growing on the seats, a frozen puddle of ice in the rear footwell and water dripping from the rear view mirror and top of the windscreen.

Battery dead as a dodo after the cold weather so could not even start her up.

Guys, cherish your Supra's - as you do already - you just never know!

True scrap value is often calculated on the current £/tonne of metal. If you want shot quickly without the hassle of breaking it yourself (which would get you the most cash), maybe one of the used parts dealers on here would be able to give you a price which is a bit higher than the £/tonne scrap value.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Guest jdwals

Well it is with the insurance company now and they were saying it was the scrap value rather than salvage value - I don't know - can't figure out insurance companies at all.

Well it is with the insurance company now and they were saying it was the scrap value rather than salvage value - I don't know - can't figure out insurance companies at all.

That sounds just like another devious plan by the insurers to give you not much for your car and then sell it on for 2 grand plus at a salvage auction. Scumbags.

Guest jdwals

Yeah - they claimed it was contaminated water and they were scraping it for that reason but after my other half's insurance company spoke with them after we demanded they scrap her higher value car for the same reason they came clean and admitied it was being written off due to the economics of the thing.

Now after it happened I wanted to get the car back and fix it up myself which would have been possible at the time, but was refused as they were declaring it fit for scrap only, but looking at the car yesterday I'd hate to think of what damage has been done to it's electrics sitting up the way it has been for so long so I think it has well and truly driven it's last.

You could say I am slightly annoyed with the insurance company over it.

Guest jdwals

Same here but market value is open to interpretation.

Does not help that there are currently no 1993 Supra's for sale in Ireland at the minute.