The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LSD DIFF rebuild cost?

rob wild

Well looks like my bad luck continues. I decide to check my diff (6 speed LSD) after its been making a noise above 50 mph when on and off the power.

Start off by dropping the fluid and what a mess :(

Spoke to Mr T and he wanted £2200 :blink: So looking at prices for a rebuild. Just wondering if anyone knew anywhere that could rebuild them and how much?

I've contacted a few places and got a few quote already.

Is it the diff or the Crown that's gone? If it's the diff then a TRD item is sure to be the best option in terms of cost and reliabilty?

Diff is about £550, seals and other bits are about £150, then they need setting up. So £800-£850 would be about right.

Is it the diff or the Crown that's gone? If it's the diff then a TRD item is sure to be the best option in terms of cost and reliabilty?

Diff is about £550, seals and other bits are about £150, then they need setting up. So £800-£850 would be about right.

Not sure until I strip it which bit has gone tbh D but I'm expecting it to need fully rebuilding. That amount of swarf can't be good.

I think you're right though at 800-900. Might look into a TRD diff or even a OS Giken if RB motorsport end up rebuilding it.

Rob,

As a complete noob when it comes to LSD's, how do you mean makes a noise above 50? Just I'm investigating something myself at the moment. I just thought LSDs came into play when cornering?

Sorry for the noob Q, I'll find some links on the net if its difficult to explain. Cheers.

Not sure until I strip it which bit has gone tbh D but I'm expecting it to need fully rebuilding. That amount of swarf can't be good.

If it's whining in a straight line it's surely got to be the ring/crown/pinion, which would have fecked the rest of it. Not good :(

Is this the diff from the same tw*t that sold you the 6spd conversion kit that had the wrong prop shaft?

Rob,

As a complete noob when it comes to LSD's, how do you mean makes a noise above 50? Just I'm investigating something myself at the moment. I just thought LSDs came into play when cornering?

Sorry for the noob Q, I'll find some links on the net if its difficult to explain. Cheers.

No problem, its not making a noise when the LSD is in operation and as far as I can tell the LSD is working. Its making a noise when cruising at about 50 or more and gentle coming on and off the power.

I will have a 6 speed lsd available soon, (not the case but the lsd)

Cheers Jamie maybe a good option, how much? Feel free to PM :)

The whole thing will be *uggered, look for a good used complete assembly. The labour costs of shimming that up, together with new internals will be horrendous. You should be able to pick up a complete assembly idf you search about.

Cheers Chris, just out of interest how much would you charge for rebuilding something like that?

If it's whining in a straight line it's surely got to be the crown/pinon, which would have fecked the rest of it. Not good :(

Yeah its buggered big time :(

Is this the diff from the same tw*t that sold you the 6spd conversion kit that had the wrong prop shaft?

Yep the very same! :rolleyes:

No problem, its not making a noise when the LSD is in operation and as far as I can tell the LSD is working. Its making a noise when cruising at about 50 or more and gentle coming on and off the power.

Thanks Rob, appreciate the post. What kind of noise is it?

Either way, I hope you get it sorted mate.

Just for reference my TRD diff was £715 with the fitting kit, plus delivery from USA.

I got import duty on top of that.

Fitting/shimming by a specalist is about £300, then ive got to pay Lee to fit it in the car...... not cheap when you add that lot up.

Cheers Jamie maybe a good option, how much? Feel free to PM :)

£100+post for the used lsd, wont be available for a few days. EDIT.. that is just the internal LSD, no case.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)