The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 speed or semi auto?

BigIanD

Im currently in the market for a twin turbo supra but am unsure of what to go for. Iv always had manual cars because i like the control you have but after having a test ride in an auto BPU i was well impressed with how smooth it was and how fast it picked up.

I still love manual cars but now im torn between the two which is why i was thinking of a semi auto. Iv never been in a semi auto or ever spoke to anyone with one so need some advice from the experts.

How much control do you actually have over the gear box i,e can you change up and down when ever you like?

Just remember that geting the manual adds 2-3K onto the car price generally.

I havnt driven the auto or semi but really cant fault my 6speed manual.

If i was to choose its 6 speed any day of the week.

However there are people out there that regard the supra autobox as the best autobox out there, i'd like a go at one to see if its true

or the new GTR , anyways if you go auto no more than 500bhp

I would only Bpu an auto because i was so impressed with the one i test drove. But thats good to know jurgen, stuff i need to learn as a noob!

I wouldnt mind starting with a auto and moving onto a six speed at a later date. Id be happy with either :)

You guys should go to a VW garage, and test drive a car with a DSG box.

There's a very good reason Ferrari don't make manual cars anymore.

Thats true but then thats very different to a Supra (the ferrari). For me it is about the idea of driving the car as opposed to the car driving itself. I know what DSG boxes do but IMO they are there to make things easier for the driver as opposed to more fun.

Hi Ian,

Can't really help you with the auto but I understand your feelings with the manual. I have owned a manual and don't think I would ever want a auto sports car even if it was a semi automatic. In my mind it defeats the purpose of driving a sports car.

:ok:

having said that, if you dont mind putting up with half the sports car experience due to budgetary constraints then perhaps the auto is not bad after all :p