The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jap spec brake question

The-Plethora

Had a quick search but nothing obvious popped into my browser.

It seems like my passenger side rear disk and pad is knackered. I thought there was a dash light or noise it would make when getting low? Bit of a pain in the arse as I spent most of the weekend making speaker brackets and fitting speakers and it was my first drive after.

Am I going to have trouble getting (ideally new) rear brake disks and pads for a jap car in the UK (I read the calipers are different so presume pads are also). Its one of those jobs I was planning to do anyway as you sort of know where you are with a car you have bought then but was waiting for better weather :(

If anyone can suggest a decent place for jap spec pads and disks online or have pads / discs they wish to sell please drop me a line.

Cheers

Dave

I went to my local car parts shop & they had my J Spec disks in stock along with pads. They said their the same as the lexus (GS300 I believe). They were cheaper than Mr T & have worked brilliantly since I put them on 6 months ago.

Cheers all, I have sent my retired folks on a mission this week. Tried Toyota world in Bristol but just got a sales monkey who couldnt forward my call. Abz what year GS300 would that be? I presume thats the UK model (makes it a bit easier to find). It's minus 5 here right now, I was really looking for something in the mid 20's to be doing this :(

In Bristol - try Quantoc motor factors.

As said above, the fronts and rears are the same as a GS300/Aristo Mk1 (JZS147) up to 1997. Fronts are the same as a GS300/Aristo Mk2 (JZS160).

If possible, I'd use Toyota/Lexus or, say, Mintex pads. I wasn't too impressed with the normal "motor factor" pads on my GS, although they'd be better than nothing.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Abz what year GS300 would that be? I presume thats the UK model (makes it a bit easier to find). It's minus 5 here right now, I was really looking for something in the mid 20's to be doing this :(

Not sure what year, I am getting the model from 1999. Though the guy at the shop had a quick look at my brake discs and noticed the shape was the same as the Lexus's & I assumed he was talking about the GS300 as they are most similar (UK Spec) also the Lexus Soarer is very similar for JSpec pads.

Do a search on here tp find the correct part numbers and just get your local Toyota garage to order them in.

And yes, the geniune parts do have a noisemaker in them to alert you when they are getting low. It is small metal spring that contacts the disc and makes a horrible scraping sound. It comes into play at about 1mm of pad remaining.

Tried Toyota world in Bristol but just got a sales monkey who couldnt forward my call.

Which Toyota World was it? I've tried both North (Filton) and South (Brislington). I found Toyota World South to be loads better. For me it's a bit of a drive but worth it. Ask for Mark Davies on the parts desk. Very helpful.

What a pain, one local place thought they had the pads in but couldnt find a match, went to Toyota world and they shut at 12 on a weekend.

Would someone in the know just mind confirming that these are JSpec brakes? I presume the TRD stuff is just a decal but it doesnt look 100% like what I have in the downloaded manuals from here. :(

Fronts and back calipers are below, just dont want to waste money on the wrong type. Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks all makes me a bit happier. I just need rear pads Nic, sending my folks out to get some this week, looking at it all of them are lor so I will be replacing front and rears, the calipers look like they need a bit of a refurb so might get those sorted as well.

I wanted to give the car a bit of a going over as soon as I got it in November but the weather has been so crappy that I have not had chance.