The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Goodyears lasted 4 weeks??

4packet

Has anyone experienced excessive wear with Goodyear Asymmetrics on the rear or with any other tyre in the recent cold snap? Have been using F1's (and Toyos) for years now and never had an issue. The previous set of F1's lasted exceptionally well considering the abuse they got. 4 weeks ago I treated the Supe to a new pair of Asymmetrics and now I found they are worn out!

No trackdays or forced burnouts, but given the recent conditions it has been sideways out of most junctions etc. Not conclusive, but the tracking was done at the end of this Summer so 'should' be OK.

Completely bemused by it really.....:search:

Where are they worn out ( on the inner edge of the tyre ? ) and how many miles have you done in 4 weeks ?

Sideways on a slippy surface shouldnt really wear them out that quicky compared to sideways on dry un slippy tarmac, less friction = less grip = less wear.

I agree with both of you. The wear is mainly down the middle which is partly my own fault (35psi on 275/35/18 is a bit high). Generally I wear the rears on the inside due to the negative camber. Have done a few long journeys (generally very steady however) this month, but doubt I've gone over 1000miles. Have been forced to drive it in the bad conditions as my commuter is a motorbike.

1000 Miles :blink: are you sure it was only 35 psi and not higher ? just how worn out are they ? down to wear strips or worse ?

Definitely not running over 35psi. Wear is pretty bad, mostly beyond the wear strips. The right tyre is slick in one section. Amazingly the inner and outer still have 'some' tread to show for themselves.

It explains why I couldn't hold it in a straight line in Tuesdays snow shower. Had a massive moment on the M1 whilst being overtaken by every man and his dog.

As you say their worn out in the center then usually thats down to being over inflated, if it was tracking or camber then the inner or outer edges would be worn.

Isnt the stock pressures on a mkiv 36 psi ? using 17" wheels

I'd check your pressure gauge as it sounds like their seriously over inflated

Been looking for a tyre pressure guide but could only find the o/e figures.

The tyre fitter inflated them to 35psi. I dropped a very small amount out of them this week and have just measured them today. 32.5 and 30.5. The affect of the high pressure is visible, but not the cause of the bizaare wear rate. I think you're right re the stock 17's pressure. 2.5bar. I normally go with 32-34 (with the wider tyres) depending on temperature, tyre load rating and the type of miles I'm doing.

I'll try to take a pic of them next weekend when I get them off the car.

Edited by 4packet (see edit history)

Spinning up the rears will wear tyres out at a fairly fast rate, even when the road surface is wet.

So, I'm guessing a combination of spinning tyres and over-inflation has concentrated wear rate in the middle like you are experiencing.

Guest Budz86

There is no way a pair of tyres should only last 4 weeks with 'normal' driving. Even sideways at most junctions while it's icy won't wear that bad as there is no grip! Get straight onto Goodyear and let them sort it out. Is it possible that the tyre company sold you the wrong tyre? (Wrong load index or something?)

Something very wrong there. The main points of advice have been covered so far.

Firstly alignment can be knocked out very quickly and IMO should be checked every few months unless you notice any pulling etc before. I always have my alignment (full geo) checked every 3 months and there have been occasions where sometimes is bang on for over 6 months and other times when its been knocked out slightly after 2 weeks.

Goodyears tend to have a very good life span in general. This has also been a favourite of mine across a number of car for several years - withouth any issues and complete satisfaction. (I have just put 4 new F1 Asymetrics on my Volvo so will keep an eye out and report any issues).

Fwiw, I run 38psi in the rear of my car on Michelin PS2, (35psi front). Covered about 6,000miles to date, a lot of steady pondering about with lots of maxmium speed stints and some spirited road use. The rears are still in almost as new condition with 100% even wear across the tyre.

Tyres were def new. Forget what the date was, but it was a fairly recent batch (something I check for these days). I buy from yourtyres so they are my responsibility before handing them over and watching the fitter carefully.

I personally think that making a claim would be difficult to prove. I'm sure it will be deemed 'excessive abuse'. I'll just have to suck up the near 100 quid a week tyre bill and put it down to experience. They have spent a fair percentage of the 4 weeks spinning (I enjoy RWD and been forced to drive in pretty bad conditions), but it was my genuine belief that with the reduced level of grip the wear would be minimal compared to laying a big 11 in the dry or grinding round a trackday. I was more interested to see how other peoples tyres have faired in this cold weather and see if they were punished harder because they were new (softer).

Have just ordered a new pair of (bargain) Proxes. 100 quid cheaper than the Asyms so I don't have to change my driving style, just the effect on my wallet.

We had a similar problem, nowhere near on your scale but we had a set of Vredestiens on the back of our supra which only covered about 6,000 miles over 4 months. I went back to the garage and contacted vredestien, as another member on here had got 14,000 miles out of his. They sent the tyres back for "testing" and unsurprisingly it came back as driver abuse.

Unfortunatley with tyres there seems to be very little come back as they just blame the driver!!

They have spent a fair percentage of the 4 weeks spinning (I enjoy RWD and been forced to drive in pretty bad conditions), but it was my genuine belief that with the reduced level of grip the wear would be minimal compared to laying a big 11 in the dry or grinding round a trackday.

You'd be surprised at how much wear can occur even in snow/icy conditions.

(I was a few years ago, doing similar slidey antics in my EVO)

You will notice that the wear has been conentrated on a certain part of the tread, so as in dry conditions where the trye is wearing out over most of the tread, in the snowy/icy conditions it often only uses a small area (As snow and ice often lift other parts of the tread off the ground).

So in effect the car's weight is on this smaller area of the tyre and thus spinning wears it out faster than you'd expect.

(My own personal theory by the way) ;)

Edited by AJI (see edit history)

You'd be surprised at how much wear can occur even in snow/icy conditions.

(I was a few years ago, doing similar slidey antics in my EVO)

You will notice that the wear has been conentrated on a certain part of the tread, so as in dry conditions where the trye is wearing out over most of the tread, in the snowy/icy conditions it often only uses a small area (As snow and ice often lift other parts of the tread off the ground).

So in effect the car's weight is on this smaller area of the tyre and thus spinning wears it out faster than you'd expect.

(My own personal theory by the way) ;)

Certainly won't disagree with that theory. Mine seem to have worn more on a strip between the centre and outer. Just wish I'd checked them weekly so I had a better idea of how/when the wear occured.

While I made use of every 'opportunity' to drift, at no point did I pull into a carpark for some 'quality' time.

We had a similar problem, nowhere near on your scale but we had a set of Vredestiens on the back of our supra which only covered about 6,000 miles over 4 months. I went back to the garage and contacted vredestien, as another member on here had got 14,000 miles out of his. They sent the tyres back for "testing" and unsurprisingly it came back as driver abuse.

Unfortunatley with tyres there seems to be very little come back as they just blame the driver!!

I've got Vredestien's on my rear's and they seem to be wearing very good! Thing is though you have managed to cover 6,000 miles which is a fair bit. You can't really compare with another forum user unless they do exactly the same driving as you (Same road\Route). As a lot of short journey's and constant stopping, going will cause quicker wear than say someone who drives just on empty motorways or dual carriageways.

With regards to the OP, I'd get straight onto the dealer you brought the tyres from. Any chance they could be remoulded tyres?