The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK spec stock mkiv supra

Guest Bhogal

Guest Bhogal

Firstly big hi from me as I am new to this forum. Although I am a Supra MkIII owner and do not have a MkIV at all, I may be considering one in the future and have a few questions which I hope more experienced MkIV owners can answer.

How difficult would it be to get a hold of a UK spec stock Supra MkIV, preferably twin turbo auto or manual? - main reason for this is so that the vehicle qualifies for modern classic insurance.

Also, would a p/x usually be considered (my MkIII for a MkIV)? - I know that there is no definate answer for this.

Thanks.

I can see how UK cars used to be sought after so much, mainly due to their spec and easily traceable history, but I've seen a few minger UK cars of late, and the fact that they've been in this country their whole lives would make me worry more about rot and rust due to our crappy weather and salt.

If your biggest concern is getting cheap insurance, I'd suggest you need to think about maybe bugeting more for your insurance and broadening your horizons. IMO, your money is better spent on getting a late model jap car from a trader like jurgen.

Guest Suprafly

Yeah if you're going for a UK car, as mentioned above they have been subject to british weather conditions and salty roads etc for some time, and there are mingers out there so try to find one thats been well waxoiled and cared for regardless of cost, ie lots of SH and receipts etc, pay upwards of 8k.

But personally I'd go with the above advice and buy a late import, i can highly recommend Jurgen at JM-Imports, top trader and a good fellar.

When I was looking for a UK spec car, I had put up wanted ads on piston heads, autotrader etc and searched this forums classifieds all to no avail. Nothing ever came up even in the pistonheads/auotrader classifieds and the very odd occasional UK spec car that was offered here was either heavily priced (at the time IMO) or it had been modified far too much.

It took me endless searching to get lucky with a fellow club members stock UK car whilst having seen many imports at traders that just didn't appear all that good despite being younger cars with lower miles.

However as of late there have been a healthy number of UK spec cars for sale on autotarder/pistonheads etc. I would say just be ready to search all the classifieds very hard (especially on here!) and be sure to have a large ish budget that is somewhat flexible from around £8K (bottom end of current going rates) to £10K (more realistic) and some garage stored examples are fetching around £15K.

Hi Bogal

My UKTT is insured as a modern classic and only costs me £160 a year using a company called Hagerty. This is with limited mileage and all mods declared and I am 37. My car is forsale too if you want to take a look in the For sale section.

HTH

Rich

Guest Bhogal

I will check out the car. I wish I was in the position to buy right now, but second child on the way in Feb. Also, I am 27 so think insurance is slightly more expensive.

I will check out the car. I wish I was in the position to buy right now, but second child on the way in Feb. Also, I am 27 so think insurance is slightly more expensive.

Everyone pays a different amount for insurance due to many surrounding factors.

I've just hit 30 and my renewal from Tesco is £780 f/c. I can and do get cheaper quotes but I'm very happy with the service and perks of the policy by Tesco.

Everyone pays a different amount for insurance due to many surrounding factors.

Agreed, my single turbo uk spec with all mods declared was costing me just over £500 at 25. I was paying less than that at 23 when i bought it. Although i do live in a low risk area code.

Guest Bhogal

With my Supra MkIII I have got modern classic insurance with Footman James and it has got windscreen cover. I am limited to 1,500 miles mind, which can be increased at more cost, saying that though it is fine for me as I drive two other cars other than the Supra.

Guest Bhogal
Hi Bogal

My UKTT is insured as a modern classic and only costs me £160 a year using a company called Hagerty. This is with limited mileage and all mods declared and I am 37. My car is forsale too if you want to take a look in the For sale section.

HTH

Rich

How much you asking Rich?

Guest Bhogal

Ok, not a bad price looking at the car, sadly nothing I can afford right now :(.

Thanks for the inforamtion though...guess I will have to wait a few more years.

Guest Bhogal

Yea, we're in tight times too. Again mate, if I had the money I would. Strange, I didn't much like the MkIV shape, it was always too OTT for me, as soon as I baught my dream MkIII I am now looking at the MkIV's. Lol. Still love MkIII shape though.

Would you ever consider px? - that is just out of curiosity though as I wouldn't sell my car the way it is, still needs some work.

Welcome to the club Bhogal.

I have a UK spec, which I'm thinking of selling. Engine is stock, the only things that are not stock are the wheels, exhaust and paintwork. £300 insurance with Sky.

some old pics in my garage, if you would like more info PM me.

Cheers

Tiggs