The mkiv Supra Owners Club

which headlight bulbs

Dave

I had to change the daughter in laws dipped today. 04 focus. PITA

Whilst buying the lamps I noticed that if I bought two expensive, £24.99 lamps for it, it'd be cheaper to get HIDS.

I bought the £10.99 options. Hopefully they will last longer.

HIDS are the way ahead.

I can dig some out, but if you have a search on ebay, they will come direct from China, you will have to wait, & there is a risk if they go faulty it's a PITA, but they can be had for around £30.

I bought them from KR for double that, same kit, but warranty & next day delivery was worth the extra in my case.

Just search on ebay for hid and the bulb you require (depends on which model car you have & which bulb you want), if you can't find any let me know the info & I'll have a look for ya :)

Quick search found this one for £35

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/35W-HID-XENON-BALLAST-KIT-9005-HB3-4300K-Light-2-Bulbs_W0QQitemZ160386434500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2557c6c5c4

Pretty sure I've seen £30 ones too

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Get 6000k though, not 4300k like those

4300K have a better light output than 6000K (and also look white like factory fitted HIDs), but 6000K are fine if you like the lights to look blueish - and also don't mind the slightly poorer light output.

I haven't seen the 2 of them next to each other but there is no blue tint whatsoever off of my 6000k HID's. The light off them is fantastic.

Different manufacturers actually look different even if they claim to be the same temp.

Factory fit 4300k on the left, 6000k on the right.

those 6000k look a hell of a lot brighter than the 4300k on the left

and on the left the headlights themselves look blue

It isn't as simple as that though. That could be down to the lights on the right being far better than the ones on the left. Remember that 6000k and 4300k is the colour temperature. The brightness is down to how good the bulbs and ballasts are.

4300k is better than 6000k for light? is that right? I thought it was the other way around.

What I perhaps should have added (although I asummed it would have automatically been taken into account), is that when using the same ballast, a 4300K bulb will have a higher light output (more lumens) than a 6000K bulb from the same manufacturer.

Have a look on any of the websites that sell HID sets. Here's one link that confirms the above.

4100k - 4300k is the ideal HID color temperature to produce the maximum amount of light, lumens, hence the reason while all OEM manufacturers equip their vehicles with these types of bulbs.

• 3 weeks later...