The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I Can't Believe It!!

Guest MoeBlunt

Guest MoeBlunt

On the way back from my bro's cafe I saw a Scooby STi on the A406 doing about 35-40mph so I went up next to him, all of a sudden he floors it so I thought why not, it's new years for crying out loud! lol

He got the lead obviously because of his 4wd tech, but i started to catch up when I hear these popping noises coming from the exhaust then i lose power for a split second, it happend more than once but when i kick down i get power again then it would cut off again just as the turbos are boosting...?!

I saw him at the next lights and we had a little chat and he told me he was running stock...?! 280bhp??

Is it a fuel cut i'm getting? but i have a fuel cut defender fitted and it was happening on low and high boost?!

I'm well confused but I hope it's not something seriously wrong with my baby! :(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus the man says he has a fuel cut defender on?

Depending on the FCD device you can still hit fuel cut, the better devices raise the fuel cut instead of removing it ;)

Do you have a boost gauge, any idea what boost you was hitting?

Guest MoeBlunt

Thanks for the reply guys, there is an fcd which was fitted by whifbitz. I have a greddy boost controller which has a peak boost so it shouldn't go over the limit thats set on it?!

The car has also never misfired...

Sparks were put in about 5-6 months ago, done about 2k miles on them...

List of mods...

1- Boost control (set to 1.2 on high boost and 0.7 on low boost)

2- FCD

3- HKS dome air filter

4- Boost gauge

5- Uprated fuel pump

6- NGK sparks

Guest Suprafly

This is what I was thinking, he hasn't mentioned in his mods list if it's decatted either, if it is then it should have a 1.2 bar restrictor ring, if it IS an import then he shouldn't need the boost controller if it's decatted either.

My thoughts are that it's spiking with the colder air.

but i started to catch up when I hear these popping noises coming from the exhaust then i lose power for a split second

From this description I would suspect plugs or coil pack/coil connectors. Fuel cut is like hitting a brick wall ie. you will lose all power instantly, whereas problems with plugs/coil packs can cause miss-fire, hesitation at higher boost levels.

Which NGK plugs are fitted exactly? Gap size? Age?

Check the connectors to the coil packs, these become brittle from engine heat, which can cause a bad connection.

Im getting this at moment, I know its my plugs as they are due a change though.

You accelerate and as you accelerate, you hear popping randomly,starting off with more popping as number 2 comes on but as you drive through it, gets less and accelerate more. The car feels slightly jerky, if its more then slightly jerky fuel cut is like someone cutting all power.

When this happens you should see some black smoke out the back of the car (depending on how bad need fair amount of popping), not loads and i only saw mine when a car was following and i could see it up against the colour of the car.

I would change your plugs, cheapest and likely solution, be carefull with the coil pack clips they become brital with age, but if you do break one you can connect the individual clip points up without the plastic clip, just get some more ordered.

The other thing of course is did you have the TC on.

I have a funny feeling it is the TC. Might sound stupid but did you have loud music on?

This would have caused the symptoms of the lose of power and then having power again as the rear could have been loosing traction, hence cutting power.