The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help - 94 UK 6 Speed or 2001 VVTI 6 Speed?

Supraudi

Going to buy a Supra again after selling mine a few years back to KOPITE. Really do miss them...

For around the same ort of money which would you choose? Same mileage... just the J Spec one is 7 years newer with VVTI engine.

I am more than likely to keep it this time for a very very long time cause I dont want to regret it.

I really cant decide... any advise?

K

From my limited knowledge, i think it comes down to insurance and whether you want a UK or J-spec, also if you want facelift or not....

IF it was me getting it i'd be going for the 2001 J-spec, depending on the mileage etc.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of more advice from everyone else here though

Good luck...

Going to buy a Supra again after selling mine a few years back to KOPITE. Really do miss them...

For around the same ort of money which would you choose? Same mileage... just the J Spec one is 7 years newer with VVTI engine.

I am more than likely to keep it this time for a very very long time cause I dont want to regret it.

I really cant decide... any advise?

K

What sort of budget do you have in mind? This would help decide which model to go for.

Almost forgot to say.... which model do you think would have the slowest depreciation....

The UK Spec one's.

What sort of budget do you have in mind? This would help decide which model to go for.

The UK Spec one's.

Budget well as less as possible. But considering I will be keeping it long term about 14k. After a lot of research, I can wait for a 2001 VVTI which has got very low mileage and should be mint OR can buy a mint 1994 UK 6 Speed which is 7 years older and higher mileage for the same money.

I thought 2001 Model VVTI and really rare too? Am I wrong?

And then I ask myself do I need really need a manual. I drive like a Grandad anyway.... cause there are a few UK SPEC AUTOS but with high mileage at about 8 - 9k.....

What is the current situation with regards to VED tax?

I think there is some sort of corssover date around 2001 whereby cars are judged differently on emissions and therefore a vehicle may be classed as £400 tax as opposed to £190?

I'm sure somebody will confirm or this or not.

Yep newer lower mileage J Spec every time. Don't listen to these UK owners going on about their tatty old slower cars! :p :eyebrows: :D

To be fair not too bothered about tax......

I am sensing people think its definately better to go for a newer low mileage example (although import) rather than a rare UK model. Its just after reading up on a lot of threads here..the UK is the one to go for cause its rare and will hold its value a lot better....

I do have to think about its future value... I will only do about 1000 miles in it a year...cause it will be only a sunny weekend car. I believe the Supra will be an ultimate classic in years to come, hence after my next purchase I will be unlikely that I will be selling it.

Having had a UK 6 Speed and a VVTi TT, the only difference i noticed was the lower torque of the VVTi. While it did feel punchier off boost, it didn't have the "kick you back in your seat" feel when the 2nd turbo came on, more linear toque delivery which made it feel slower to me even though it wasn't.

I'd just go the the one in the better condition & options Keith.

Budget well as less as possible. But considering I will be keeping it long term about 14k.

Is it just me or is that pretty high for a TT, that'd be into the realm of a quite nice single turbo right? (if thats what you want)

For a TT auto you can get a decent one for around 4-5k, for a mint, low mileage facelift TT probs around about 10-11k (and that is a seriously mint one)

Thats just from my experience though

the lower torque of the VVTi.

The VVTi should have more torque throughout the RPM range, on and off boost. That's the intention of VVTi systems, whilst also facilitating higher efficiency - lower emissions and fuel consumption etc.

A J Spec (VVTi) also has the larger turbos so can't see how a UK spec would feel more torquey unless it was running higher boost.

Was your UK spec BPU vs. a not quite BPU VVTi J Spec?