The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Puncture repaired tyres?

Guest George89

Guest George89

I need some rear tyres quite urgently as driving in the rain is a night mare they are completly worn out. I aint got much money as its xmas. I found some Bridgestone Potenza 2nd hand tyres with 5mm+ thread on them but they have been puncture repaired. Would this be a good idea or should i stay away from puncture repairs?

Depends how conscientiously they have been repaired. If the puncture was in the central area of the tread they can often be repaired perfectly safely. Often tyres are punctured in an area that would make a repair less than 100% safe, and a tyre shop will refuse to fix it.

A lot of these tyres then end up getting repaired anyway and sold on to folks like yourself.

I used to be in the part-worn tyre game, many years ago. There are many dodgy tricks.

The thing is, if the tyres could have been safely repaired, why did the previous owner not have them repaired? A puncture repair is like £10 - a new tyre is what, £100 - £150 ?

Surely if the tyre was safely repairable it would have been, wouldn't it?

If it wasn't repaired because the tyre dealer was dishonest ... is that the kind person I want to buy from?

it depends where the tyre has come from, i ship alot of tyres in from gerany, the rules in germany are verry different from here , a punctured tyre thats perfectly repairable are removed as are many pefrectly good tyres to be replaced with winter tyres,

Interesting. What rules are those?

I never feel safe in a fast car with out top brand tyres with no repairs,you pay for what you get,and i feel safe,best be safe than sorry!!

Wouldn't pick brand over experience. Just because they are well known does not mean they will be good. I had Continental's on my car & they were great in the dry but pretty rubbish as soon as it got damp. I've changed both to Vredestein ULTRAC and I have to say they are brilliant in both wet & dry (well at least compared to the Continental's). I intended to buy some Toyo T1-R but the fella who I know in Elite Direct advised me to try these out and at £115 each of rear stock 17's they were brilliant.

George, put a wanted post up... a member might have a pair lying around.

Wouldn't pick brand over experience. Just because they are well known does not mean they will be good. I had Continental's on my car & they were great in the dry but pretty rubbish as soon as it got damp. I've changed both to Vredestein ULTRAC and I have to say they are brilliant in both wet & dry (well at least compared to the Continental's). I intended to buy some Toyo T1-R but the fella who I know in Elite Direct advised me to try these out and at £115 each of rear stock 17's they were brilliant.

George, put a wanted post up... a member might have a pair lying around.

Ive had Conti sport Contact 3's on my car and they were pretty good in the wet even on rather wide 19's

I need some rear tyres quite urgently as driving in the rain is a night mare they are completly worn out. I aint got much money as its xmas. I found some Bridgestone Potenza 2nd hand tyres with 5mm+ thread on them but they have been puncture repaired. Would this be a good idea or should i stay away from puncture repairs?

I have seen some real dodgy puncture repairs out there, so unless you know the history of the tyre, I would be very carefull with what you are buying.

Hers's one that came in recently :blink:

http://www.speedwells.co.uk/USERIMAGES/110820091934a.jpg

Interesting. What rules are those?

there you go ;

France

The use of winter tyres is not mandatory in France. Nevertheless in some mountainous areas signs warn drivers that snow chains are necessary. In France, drivers of vehicles that weigh up to 3.5 tonnes can use spikes from November until the end of March. Vehicles using spikes are restricted to a maximum speed of 90 km/h on out-of-town roads and 50 km/h in residential areas. In addition vehicles have to bare a badge indicating the use of spikes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Switzerland

Winter tyres are mandatory in Austria between 1st November and 15th April for vehicles not using snow chains. These dates may be extended in weather conditions persist.

Snow chains can only be used if the roads have a complete covering of snow and must be fitted on at least two driving wheels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Austria

Winter tyres are mandatory in Austria. The law states that passenger cars with a permissible maximum weight of up to 3.5 tonnes may be operated only between 1 November and 15 April in winter conditions such as snow, slush or ice if winter tyres have been installed on all wheels. All-season tyres are also considered winter tyres if they have the "M + S" mark.

As an alternative to winter tyres, snow chains may be used on at least two driving wheels, however, these may only be used in case the road is covered by a complete or scarcely broken snow cover or sheet of ice. Failure to comply with the law results in a fine up to 5,000 Euros and the vehicle could be impounded. Insurance is deemed void if a vehicle which is involved in an accident between November 1 and April 15 is not fitted with winter tyres.

Italy

It is not compulsory to use winter tyres in Italy. Snow chains should be carried and used as dictated by local signs or road conditions - reduced speed limits may apply.

From 15th October to 15th April vehicles must be equipped with winter tyres or snow chains in the Val d'Aosta area.

Finland

In Finland winter tyres are compulsory from 1st December to the end of February unless otherwise indicated by road signs. Winter tyres must be marked with the M&S symbol on the sidewall.

Spiked tyres may be used from 1st November until the first Monday after Easter.

Snow chains are allowed but only where there's sufficient snow to avoid any damage to the road surface.

Latvia

Winter tyres are compulsory from 1st December until 1st March

Spiked tyres are not allowed from 1st May until 1st October

Norway

Winter tyres are not compulsory,however snow chains are as dictated by local road signs - in the event that there is ice or snow covering the roads winter tyres or tyres with snow chains must be used.

Spiked tyres may be used from November 1st until the first Sunday after Easter. If spiked tyres are fitted there is a charge (in Oslo, Bergen and Trondhelm) stickers are available to buy daily, monthly or yearly.

From October 15th until May 1st you are permitted to use spiked tyres in Nordland, Troms and Finnmark.

Sweden

Winter tyres which must be marked M&S are compulsory from December 1st until March 31st with a minimum tread depth of 3mm.

Spiked tyres may be used from October 1st until April 15th but must be fitted to all wheels. Please note that local authorities have the power to ban the use of spiked/studded tyres on their roads.

Snow chains may be used if weather/road conditions require.

Slovenia

Snow chains must be carried from November 15th until March 15th (and when the winter weather conditions necessitate) by cars and vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes unless the vehicle is fitted with four winter tyres with a minimum tread of 3mm. Spiked tyres are prohibited.

Germany

Motorists are obliged to make sure they have correct tyres to suit the winter weather conditions. This may mean the use of winter tyres (with M&S or snowflake symbol) and in extreme weather, the additional use of snow chains.

Vehicles with summer tyres fitted are not allowed to be driven on roads covered with snow and ice. Fines are in place for vehicles found to be doing so.