The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some newbie questions

Guest DavidT

Guest DavidT

Hi,

I've got a couple of basic questions about the supra, my brother has just bought one and there a few button he's not sure about.

It's a '96 import twin turbo auto with no instruction manual (nothing english anyway).

There are four buttons we can't totally figure out, firstly are the "snow" and "off" button, next is a ETCS-i button with "MANU" on it and a red button in front of the gear stick with some japanese symbols on it.

I'd guess there all to do with the traction control system, the snow light flashes when you try to pull away in damp conditions, killing the car (not like the vauxhall TC that gives optimum grip - the supra crawls). Press the off button and "s/diff off" (or something like that) light comes on.

I've had a look round and can't find a decent sites that help. Any help or links would be appreciated.

Snow button is the snow mode of the traction system, turn it on in the snow and it also kicks in if you boot it too hard. Off buttong works best for me, I';m sure I don't have to explain it too much! :D

The other 2 buttons I would of thought are to do with the auto shift, I don't know as I have the 6 speed.

HTH dude

Ben..

Vauxhalls have TC?? didn't think they made anything powerfull enough??

Red button is for getting it out of park when there is no power.

Ects.....puts the autobox into sports mode

Manu....lets you change gear manually

snow--off, TC modes, for snow and off.

Guest DavidT
Red button is for getting it out of park when there is no power.

Ects.....puts the autobox into sports mode

Manu....lets you change gear manually

snow--off, TC modes, for snow and off.

Thanks for the replies.

There's only one button for the etcs/manu, the ects is written above the "MANU" button (beside the gear stick)

Hello,

SNOW turns on the SNOW mode on the traction control. The Supra has an electronic throttle, so when this mode is on you have to push the loud pedal a lot further for the same effect. Hence, as you'd expect, it is very useful when it is SNOWing ;)

OFF turns turns the standard traction control off. It also turns SNOW off if the stupid thing has put itself into SNOW, as it tends to do if you pull off too fast :(

MANU changes the way the gearbox works as follows:

MANU OFF

L - 1st gear only

2 - 1st or 2nd gear only

D - 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear

MANU ON

L - 1st gear only

2 - 2nd gear only

D - 3rd gear only

The overdrive can come in on 3rd gear in either mode if you don't have it turned off.

MANU is useful if you are really hooning it, or if it's very wet or snowy (because you can pull off in 2nd).

The red button with the Japanese writing is the ejector seat. :p Nah, it lets you move the gear selector when the key isn't in the ignition.

Just to clarify, whether you are in MANU mode or not, if the gear selector is in D, then it will switch between 3rd and overdrive (4th) as it feels appropriate. You can restrict it to 3rd only by turning overdrive off (which you do by pushing the lower button on the gear selector). You can't restrict it to overdrive/4th only... except by driving over about 130mph, of course :)

This thread got me playing a bit, and I noticed this morning that it will also sometimes use 2nd gear in MANU mode / D if it really thinks it needs it, so it's not quite as MANU as you might expect.

Originally posted by splurge

SNOW turns on the SNOW mode on the traction control. The Supra has an electronic throttle, so when this mode is on you have to push the loud pedal a lot further for the same effect.

Actually, only the VVTI has an electronic throttle. The traction control works by a motor controlling an extra butterfly in the throttle body, in front of the main throttle one.