The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight modification

Ricardod

Hi, i recently took over golddigga's car and its a marvelous beasty.

Its an NA 94 silver with one heck of a list with mods.

Getting to the point:

Its got facelift UK spec headlights.

My question is can i modify these so they will be LHD spec

If so how can i do this, the headlights are allready out of the car and i started to break it down.

Well its a pretty hard thing to modify they said. I need to drill holes and use my common sence to put the mirror in a way so it deflects the light the right way.

The problem is im scared of skrewwing my lights lol.

That really doesn't sound like fun. Is it not the glass lens that directs the beam of light? I was sure the pattern of the beam was down to the lens and nothing to do with mirrors. If that is the case then it sounds like a bit of a bodge.

Simplest solution would be to sell yours on and buy some squeeky new LHD ones. I think they go for about £300. 2nd hand you would easily see £200 so the cost would be minimal.

Obviously postage would come into it with where you live but I think it would be better than potentially scrapping them :)

ehm maybe this will help you ricardo

there is a solution for your problem because there is a guy

who did it without drilling hole`s

the guy`s name is Ray

and he ownes a company called ATS-Imports

and it`s in Veenendaal at the Turbinestraat

here`s the name of his site

http://www.autobedrijfats.nl/

just give him a call

Wow. :) Maybe you could get Ray to explain the process and post it here. We have a lot of European members who may be able to benefit from that.

I made conversion diy about year ago :) From old second-hand rhd facelift lights, new were near 700£ at local toyota

I disassembled lens (with big heat gun) and inner parts are easy to disassemble, all are with phillips head screws. You have to "turn" light pattern of a hmm.. metal plate to opposite direction, then actual light pattern turns :) The only thing that changes, is the hmm.. gap of metal to other side, no changes to lens, reflector etc. Easiest to do that is to make a metal plate with gap on different side and using screws, attach to original plate. Higher part of original "metal plate" must be also leveled, but once you got housing in your hand, it is it`s quite self-explanatory

Heres picture, (look lower picture) how the inside looks modded, the lower part is on other side... also the edge must be sharp :) (picture from finnish forum).

ps. sorry about bad english

http://kuvablogi.com/nayta/prev/img904096.jpg

Edited by kaahari (see edit history)

I bought some second hand German spec lights (Glass and LHD) for about 100 euro.

The best thing is they have all the correct markings on them. I think that's a better solution than possibly messing up some nice facelifts which you can get alot of money for unmolested.