The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Re: Turbo Rebuild

Hoppy

Hi guys

It looks like my turbo oil seals have started to go as it as started smoking pretty badly on tick over, but then it clears when i pull off.But power wise it's still perfect.

Can anyone recommend a decent company which i can trust to handle my T04Z??

Cheers

Steve

You may well find it can't be rebuilt at a realistic price I am afraid :( May I give a free tip? When buying expensive aftermarket parts like dampers, gearboxes, LSD's, turbos et cetera make a phone call to the supplier or manufacturer with a mythical spare part or rebuild request. For an HKS gearbox you might ask for price and availability of say a mainsfat and a second gear and hub. When the reply comes that the gearbox needs shipping back to Japan for repair and they don't have the parts in stock it may sway your decision as to whether to buy one. I have learnt the hard way to ALWAYS ascertain spares and service back up, plus time scale and place of repair when thinking of buying things like that. HKS are a nightmare with their turbos. Buying direct

from Garrett or their UK agents, will always be preferable unless you feel the HKS logo, nice box and alleged "better than X" spec are worth the hassle factor. Same with their dampers, you can't get repair parts and they seemingly change supplier every few months. Good luck with it. I could ring Turbo Dynamics and see if they'll have a go at it, but I am almost sure they'll want it in front of them, stripped, to give a proper answer. Just let me know.

Ok Chris thanks for the all the info + help mate.It's much appreciated :thumbs:

I'm in two minds now on whether or not to just cut my loses and just buy a new turbo, first as last.

The gutting part is, this turbo as only done 4K miles on low-ish boost.But it's out of warranty now :)

Before i go down the route of changing the turbo, is it possible that something else is causing alot of blue smoke on tickover??

good advice there chris

Thanks, there are umpteen Trust Skyline 5 and 6 speed straight cut, or straight cut plus dog engagement gearboxes around for sale that are just boat anchors as the repair parts are just not available, as another example. £5K plus is a lot for anyone to pay new for something that's suddenly scrap because a synchro hub breaks! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Chris do you know if i should have a restrictor fitted on the oil feed line going to the turbo??

I have been told that garrett recommend a 1mm restrictor on the DBB T4 turbo.

I have checked and my current turbo oil feed line ID is 4mm.

Cheers

Steve

How many miles has your car done ? i see its a 94 so i'd say if the stem seals havent been done i'd start by getting those replaced.

Just done mine and they were all very brittle and definetly in need of changing.

No more smoke on start up or when she's running, i cant believe your turbo is having problems when its only done 4k !! my o/e twins are still going strong at 130k

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Ok thanks for that Chris.

Dunk my car has done just over 60k miles, but as you say it's 16 years old now, so they could probaly do with changing.I'll change these stem seals when i fit my new cams.Any idea on a price for a full set of these stem seals from MR T??

Regarding my turbo.My mate recommended CR Turbo Engineering, as he as just informed me that they overhauled his (Signature Series) HKS T51R KAI, with no issues.

I have phoned and they told me they can change the seals no problem.They said they will strip the turbo down for inspection, and providing the main componets are ok, they can fit upgraded step gap oil seals, perform a mod to improve oil flow and rebalance the turbo for £395 + vat + carrige.Also they will include a 1mm oil feed restrictor adapter, as recommended by Garrett.

So going off my mates experience, i will give them a go with my T04Z.

I will post an update on the progress when i know more.

Thanks guys

Steve

• 1 month later...

Ok i've now recieved my turbo back and fitted it.The smoking problem is no more :)

So to summarize.The HKS signature series DBB turbo's may use different turbine shaft's + and blades to the Garrett turbo's, but the oil seals used by HKS are identical to standard Garrett DBB seals.

Thanks for all your help + advise guys. It's very much appreciated :thumbs:

Take care

Steve