The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member looking for TT.

eldudereno

Hi Guys.

Have been browsing the site for a while now and it's time for my first post.

Am looking for a TT, preferably a UK model. Is my decision to go for the UK model justified as I've discovered the spec is so much better than an import???

There is a car on autotrader at the moment which has caught my eye. It has a highish mileage of 84k which is a little off-putting?

UK TT on Autotrader (bottom car)

Am willing to spend up to £14,000 to get the right car.

Any advice that you guys could give would be very much appreciated.

ps, would you recommend an auto or a manual gearbox?

Everything you have just asked gets posted on a weekly basis, usually with the focus being on getting a UK spec car because they are the better choice (which they are :)) - however they are "better" in some areas and perhaps a little bit similar in others.

When you say "better spec" what do you mean? Performance or the amount of kit you get on the car?

If it's performance then you might be shocked to hear the two cars are very similar, the quoted power figures for the J-Spec are mythical in order to meet with a gentleman's agreement in Japan, in reality the J-Spec has very similar output to the UK and thanks to the quicker spooling turbos can feel a little more responsive at the cost of top end power.

I spent an age researching what I wanted and test drove every car I could find, J-Spec, UK spec, manual, auto, GZ, RZ and so on - I opted for a UK Auto car in the end, I wanted ivory leather, I wanted heated seats, I like headlamp washers, glass headlamps, I enjoy having the big brakes, better cooling, better fuelling and a known history - I also like the slightly reduced insurance premiums I've been getting. However I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of 75k on the clock, stonechips and paint / metal that had seen a lot of winters (although I got a good one) ... etc

The thing is most of the flaws in either car can be ironed out with mods and the starting point you adopt can influence the amount you need to spend later - a J-Spec is very cheap to get up to BPU whereas a UK can need a bit more money spending - however beyond that yoou might find the J-Spec becomes more expensive due to fuelling issues or a need to be able to stop quicker :)

In summary get yourself on that search button and spend a while reading the 100's of similar threads (try to ignore the self-important J-Spec trolls and keep an open mind) - then get out and drive the cars, see which one you like best, then buy it :)

£14k will get you a nice chunk of Supra - have fun looking!

You make a good decision by choosing the UK-spec :p

They are indeed better cars IMO as they have the full history, all the toys and all the upgraded standard parts like brakes, wheels etc.

I'm sure a lot of the j-spec guys will come on and say that this weighs the car down etc. but don't listen to them as the UK-spec is one damn fine car. They are hugely reliable and as this one you're looking at is un-modified it is indeed very rare.

Un-modified bhp is more 330 and not 340 as stated in the advert but that aside make sure it does have a full service history. Look for cambelt change at 60,000 miles, also look for regular oil change.

Listen out for turbo noises, a wistle is normal but anything more could be turbo damage. (unlikely if car is standard - but if the owner hasn't allowed for sppol-down time after each drive then this could be an issue).

Also do all the usual checks on a vehicle like HPI etc.

As long as you can be confident that the service history is genuine then don't be put off by high milage cars, the UK-spec turbos are made of steel and last a long time.

Well thats about all I think think of right now, hope it is of some help.

I've just clicked the ad - "better build quality" - I suspect this isn't the case, the Toyota factory aren't known to lower quality standards for the home market, however they are known to add more to the export stuff - in the case of the Supra you get more sound proofing, better quality leather (and not plastic back seats) but the bulk of the car is the same.

Originally posted by AJI

They are indeed better cars IMO as they have the full history, all the toys and all the upgraded standard parts like brakes, wheels etc.

As do j-spec cars

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV http://www.showoffyourcar.com/cars/TOYOTA/807.jpg

Oh and better VVTi engine, (more torque) Triptronic box if you want it. And best of all foldie mirrors :D

Best option is to do as mcanny, test drive lots of cars make your own choice.

Originally posted by mcanny

In summary get yourself on that search button and spend a while reading the 100's of similar threads (try to ignore the self-important J-Spec trolls and keep an open mind) -

Who would that be? :D:D

Just trying to give a balance to the dicussion

Originally posted by mcanny

then get out and drive the cars, see which one you like best, then buy it :)

Best advice of all.

Originally posted by Timwildman

Who would that be? :D:D

I've said all that needs to be said :)

Just trying to give a balance to the dicussion

Indeed - it's a topic that deserves balance as each buyer looks for something else in a car - personally I like my lardy posh leather, my lovely warm heated seats in the winter, knowing the temperature outside and cleaning my headlamps but others have different needs :)

I don't think there is such a thing as a bad MKIV Supra (as far as variants go at least) - it's a case of finding the one that matches your needs, sadly I couldn't find my exact car but I got as close as I could with a UK (I wanted a UK manual aerotop made just for me :))

Best advice of all.

Can I quote you on that in my sig? :D

Worth stating again that ALL facelift Jspec RZ have big brakes & wheels, plus they were optional on other models. The facelift RZ also has Recaro seats as standard, which are far superior to the normal seat (despite having a really horrible pattern fabric :). It's also not true to say that you only get a service history etc with a UK car. I have a full service history (Ok, so it's in Japanese!).

The main reason I bought a Jspec was because I wanted a facelift car. As Tim said, if you want the VVTI engine you also have to buy a Jspec.

Yeah but with a full japanese history how likely are you to ring up the previous owner to check it out? Not many people are fluent in Japanese and phone call costs to japan aren't exaclty cheap.

Not trying to start the J-spec vs UK-spec war (as it's been done many times now), its just that a lot of people may not know all the hidden aspects of owning an imported car.

Originally posted by AJI

Not trying to start the J-spec vs UK-spec war (as it's been done many times now), its just that a lot of people may not know all the hidden aspects of owning an imported car.

Me neither, but you always seem to get the same old myths about imports such as:

They all have small brakes

You never get any service history etc

The parts are more expensive and you can't get them anywhere

They've all been stolen and shipped via Dubai or somewhere!

You can't check the milage

They're less powerful than the UKs

etc etc.

None of this is true, if you have a deregistration certificate from Japan etc they are less likely to be dodgy than any UK car thanks to the extra checks that go on in Japan before export and by the DVLA etc before they register it (i.e. with Interpol). As far as service history goes, a set of dealer stamps in a book is enough for me.