The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best Tyres

Guest BadBoi

You should use the search function before posting threads like this. It's been covered many times before.

I like Goodyear Eagle F1s on the front, and Toyo R888 on the rear. It depends what you're using the car for though, 19" wheels will not handle well anyway so I'd just go for something with decent wear, like the Toyo T1-R.

Best in this weather? Best on track? Best for drag racing? Best on a particular budget? Best looking? Best name?

lol no, best for grip as my michelin sport cup ones always end up doing a bloody burnout before they grip and that costs me a few seconds! but anyways il do the search thing!

what do you have on the back then mate?

I have Toyo R888 on the back, but they are REALLY not good in anything other than dry conditions. They have minimal tread and are as slick as the law allows. They don't last long at all, and won't survive a few nights outside with temperatures less than 0C.

Still, when they're on form, they're awesome.

lol no, best for grip as my michelin sport cup ones always end up doing a bloody burnout before they grip and that costs me a few seconds! but anyways il do the search thing!

They should give decent grip, i had them on mine for a while and they was ok, id start with getting a decent geo setup done.

They should give decent grip, i had them on mine for a while and they was ok, id start with getting a decent geo setup done.

I was thinking exactly that, I'm surprised they aren't performing. Geo check would be my first port of call in this situation. It may well be something simple, and if so it won't cost as much as replacing all 4 tyres :)

no cats, restrictor ring thingy put on, NUR full exhaust system, hks intercooler, ngk sparks and 1000cc injectors (i think they are the 1000cc ones, cant remember tbh)...all this was fitted by the previous owner though...

what size rims should i have ideally then? 17s?

no cats, restrictor ring thingy put on, NUR full exhaust system, hks intercooler, ngk sparks and 1000cc injectors (i think they are the 1000cc ones, cant remember tbh)...all this was fitted by the previous owner though...

Ideally close to stock as possible for optimum handling so 17's.

Front tyre size: 235/45/17

Rear tyre size: 255/40/17

You can get decent handling with 18's if you setup the Geometry properly by professional's like JamieP has pointed out. Some members have 19's and they handling pretty wheel, but as mentioned it depends on the Geo setup.

With regards to this 450BHP output, was this advised by previous owner or did they proved you with a dyno printout? I would think at 1.2Bar you would be getting closer to 420BHP.

From peoples' experiences on here, I would normally expect that to be good for a bit over 400, but it may be different with a VVTi - I'd be really interested to see a real dyno readout if you have (or get) one.

17s will be definitely be better for handling than 19s. I believe 17s were standard on the UK models (many of the Jap cars came out of the factory with even smaller - 16s on!).

If big rims are your thing, it really depends how much of the look you're willing to compromise in order to improve the handling - it's certainly worth being honest with yourself about how much you're really going to be throwing it about before you decide - I always liked to believe that I needed to optimise the handling for real driving-at-the-limit, when in reality I generally drive like a total granny! :D

Either way round, like others have suggested, a proper geo set-up is money VERY well spent.

Hope it works out for you! :thumbs:

Edited by Snooze (see edit history)

What do you need bigger injectors for? Were the originals not sufficient?

Full geo set up is more than tracking, most places will just adjust your toe angles, but full set up will adjust your camber/castor and, if applicable, ride height too.

For example, I recently had my tracking done, but the delightful chap, whilst trying to find out which suspension arm adjusted toe, adjusted my camber ALL the way full negative to see if it changed the toe on the laser gauge then just left it like that after he'd noticed it hadn't moved the right way for toe on the gauge. So moral of the story is there are several suspension arms which need adjusting and fine tuning rather than just 'tracking'.

Pilot Sports are meant to be a pretty decent tyre so if you're not getting any grip after a geo setup either i'd make sure there's no play in any suspension bushes or ball joints.