The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Both Rear Tyres have Bulges on tyre Wall, pretty bad. Pics!!!

Geo

Looks like they knackered them while getting them off/on, but proving it is a different matter. Who did the work?

The guys who were spraying the car, sent them out to the guys they use to refurb wheels, dont know who they are though.

tyre wall has failed and balloned, its possible the inside of the wall has been damaged when they were removed/refitted. They need replacing unfortunalty and once they are off you will be able to see if there is any damage on the inside of the tyre wall.

Yeah i'll get a look at them once there off and see if any damage has been done to the inner tyre. Already looking for new ones, these were pretty mint condition also, might take them back and ask questions?????

I would agree with the above comments, that is a massive bulge! You should take it back or phone them now and advise them so then they know you just picked it up. From what I have been advised any damage to the sidewall means they need to be replaced!

please dont drive on those, extreamaly dangerous. if you havent pot holed or kerbed them my guess is they struggled to get them off and damaged the inner ply. but realy they are a hazzard and need to be scrapped

youl have no joy if you take the tyres back from where you baught them , theyl jus say it was a 2007 tyre anything could have happend to them in this time.

I would agree with the above comments, that is a massive bulge! You should take it back or phone them now and advise them so then they know you just picked it up. From what I have been advised any damage to the sidewall means they need to be replaced!

i know the guys who painted my car really well, so no problem there, i'll ask them to ask questions when they come back from Hols. 5th Jan, not bothered about the time as they know the company who did the wheels well.

Yeah just looking for replacements now, loads to choose from. :D

please dont drive on those, extreamaly dangerous. if you havent pot holed or kerbed them my guess is they struggled to get them off and damaged the inner ply. but realy they are a hazzard and need to be scrapped

car will be Garaged now dude, so no driving for me im afraid. Tyres will get replaced after Crimbo. :D They look as if they will go BANG at any moment, lol

No damage to the rim so not kerbed and to get that happen to good tyres you would have had damaged rims.

One failure, maybe. Two failures no. Whoever removed and refitted that has damaged the tyre.

All 4 Volks were refurb'd so cant see Alloys being damaged, only rear tyres fubard, so i think your right mate, prob had some Monkeys doing it. :blink:

All 4 Volks were refurb'd so cant see Alloys being damaged, only rear tyres fubard, so i think your right mate, prob had some Monkeys doing it. :blink:

Yes. The damage had to happen after the refurb when the tyres were refitted. If it was a kerbing then that impact required would've damaged your newly refurbed wheels.

Never seen anything like this happen due to removal or fitting of a tyre at our place but thats not to say its likely.

Its possible that whoever was used to remove and refit the tyres did not have a suitable machine/equipment to work on them and in turn damage was caused during work.

Also I cannot believe whoever refitted them did not highlight this issue as you cannot miss this sort of stuff even when balancing.

Sorry to put a downer on this but, I am certain you will find yourself being reimbursed for any damage as they will be able to make up a number of excuses. Also I would strongly advise not to drive on those, the temperature changes coupled with the extremely likely possibility that the bulges will pop and cause a blow out mean that the potential consequences are grim.

We're in the trade. Never recall anyone raising an alert of a bad batch. However a lot of Goodyear Eagle (normal and F1 variants) developed for the hotter european markets were imported to the UK and sold at prices lower than official UK stock.

I remember some time back we had a long wheel base Hitop van come to us, stacked full of Goodyear tyres at keen prices. All were new but its obvious that in such cases it will be stolen stock or stock imported thats not suitable for UK retail. I dismissed it and the chap went off in a huffing and puffing.

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

We're in the trade. Never recall anyone raising an alert of a bad batch. However a lot of Goodyear Eagle (normal and F1 variants) developed for the hotter european markets were imported to the UK and sold at prices lower than official UK stock.

I remember some time back we had a long wheel base Hitop van come to us, stacked full of Goodyear tyres at keen prices. All were new but its obvious that in such cases it will be stolen stock or stock imported thats not suitable for UK retail. I dismissed it and the chap went off in a huffing and puffing.

That must be the one. Been over a year since it happened and I wasn't really listening when the guy was speaking as all I could think about ws the money I had to fork out!

There were some rumours last year that inferior chinese copies of the GSD3's were in the market. I was looking for replacements on the BMW 5, decided not to risk it and went for Michelin PS2's in the end.

There was a thread on one of the car forums, I'll see if I can find it :search:

Just another point...is it possible this may be due to the car sitting around for long periods? (you've had a lot of work carried out recently, how long was the car unused for?)

6 months the car was lying about for. Drove down to to Surrey to have car mapped with RyanG, then back up the road. And all was ok. This only happened when the tyres were removed to refurb the Wheels and put back on