The mkiv Supra Owners Club

iphone app advice

Matt H

I got myself an iphone 3GS on saturday, and as I know there are loads of users on the forum, I thought I'd ask / start a thread to list the best apps and places to get them from.

So far I've downloaded zero, but I'd really like the Db counter one and something for a radio? Any recommendations?

Ta

Matt

Edit to add -

LIST OF APPS RECOMMEND BY MKIVSUPRA.NET MEMBERS:

App Minor (free)

It looks for all those Apps on offer at the time of opening.

COMMUNICATION

Skype (free)

Talk over the net to other Skype users so you don't use your minutes.

Whatsapp (59)

Same as the above but for text. Shows up just like your normal iphone message set up. Outstanding app

Mobile Allowance (59p)

Simple one screen display of you remaining usage / allowance for text and mins etc and spend on non-contract calls or text such as 08 numbers and pic messages, for example. Works by the user inputting their login details for their online account with their provider. The app then takes the info from there and puts in on one handy screen

IM+ Lite (free)

A free multiprotocol messenger app, so if you use Yahoo Messenger, MSN, whatever, then this is for you.

UTILITIES

Co-Pilot (£26.99)

Didn't want to pay £60 for some TomTom software, I have a TomTom but it is shared between the family. I thought if I had it on my 3GS then it would be very helpful and saves me using the family one. I've used it twice now & so far I am very impressed indeed! I'll do a proper review on this once I get a chance, though very recommended! The speed of the thing picking up GPS is enough reason to buy it! :D

XE Currency convertor (free)

Simple and functional.

A2Z Pro (Conversion) (free)

Outstanding conversion app. Loads of conversion, plus you can download new ones and make your own! User base updating.

Flashlight lite (free).

Works just the same as the paid ones, but you don't have to pay the price to have loads of different silly light outputs, when the only one you're going to use if you actually needed to is the full screen light (which you get). Has a hand full of other screen types if you want.

Decibel (59p)

Disappointing as it only reads to 105db. Picks up everything close so often gives false readings.

Speed test (free)

How fast is your connection at any given time? Revealing app! works well.

Disc Space (free)

Simply how much space used and is free on your iphone.

Ruler Plus (free)

A ruler on your iPhone. It’s free...

Dashboard (free)

Works ok after a while, but needs good Satellite connection

BMI calculator (free)

Works out your BMI or someone else’s with various input function.

BMW M Power Meter (Free)

Just installed this today, it monitors speed, distance & both lateral & forward G! I had it on today & when I booted it came up with a message "Amazing!" "Wow, Do you already own a M powered BMW?" :D

Appbox lite (free)

Great selection of 'toolbox' apps including date calcs. Appbox Pro looks really good and I'll probably buy that for the cost of 59p.

Alarm Clock Pro (59p)

Allows you to set multiple alarms on various schedules, playing from your own music/playlists, with customisable snooze and build in torch. It's very good.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Fatbooth (59p)

Take a photo or use an existing one and it will make the subject a fatty! Nothing more, nothing less, but it's worth the giggles. Uses face recognition.

FILM

Flixster (free)

Brilliant film and cinema app. shows cinemas by distance and you can add your favs so their listings are only a click away

IMBb (free)

Film reference app on your moble.

Orange Weds (free)

Film and Cinema info, plus 241 system for orange customers.

LoveFILM (free)

Love film, on your phone. Simples

PHOTOGRAPHY

Photobucket (free)

photobucket on your mobile. Works great and allows quick and easy upload and download to / from your phone.

bump (free)

share pics and files with your mates really easy.

Fluid (free)

Really nice app to have. very cool.

ColorSplash (£1.19)

You take a photo or choose from your album. It colours it grey & then you touch on the area you want in colour. I think it is a brilliant application & I have made some great photo's using this app!

rotator (free)

Rotate pictures! simple but useful.

Photo Shop Mobile (free)

Loads of useful functions including rotate and crop.

TV

TV Guide

Freeview HD

I’ve listed both the above because they are both good apps, but neither show all channels – so you need both to cover all!

TVcatchup - – None App - Weblink:

Streams live tv from loads of chanels over your phone. Brilliantly built for the iphone. Obviously free.

SHOP / FIND

Around me (free)

A massive list of those things around your location - ATMs, pubs, restraunts etc.

RedLaser (£1.19)

Scan a book or something with a barcode (not your food shopping) and it goes to the tinternet & finds you the product at a cheaper price! Found one of the Cisco network books which cost £70 could have been brought for £30 online! Doesn’t always come back with the info you want though.

Ebay free)

As says

Argos (free)

As says

Paypal (free)

As says

Auto Trader (free)

Works well on the iPhone – sometimes crashes

Tesco Finder (free)

As says

Tesco Clubcard (free)

Use it to scan your clubcard if you don’t have your card with you. Apparently doesn’t work on the self serve checkouts

MyGAS (free)

Worth a mention because the idea is sound. User based population of the petrol prices around you using googlemaps. Fails often because the data is usually old or incomplete.

National Trust (free)

Great app for when you’re on a trip. Shows you NT locations close by.

DINING

Voucher Cloud (free)

Shows you vouchers / offers for local places or just search. Mainly shows offers on places to eat but other stuff in there such as two for one bowling etc.

Top Table (free)

Restaurants around you, plus special offers – not totally complete but good functions

FINANCE

Natwest (free)

Bit disappointing in function. It only really gives you your balance and last few transactions. But useful as a quick referance

UK Tax (free)

Functional app to work out tax, NI and student loan contributions etc based on salary input.

REFERANCE

Google earth (free)

for your mobile.

Lotto UK (free)

Lottery Results

London Camera's (Free)

Great application if you live in London and want to see what traffic is like en-route. You can check TFL camera's before you leave home. Not all the camera's work, I'd say 50% do, though you do have quite a selection. These are still images BTW.

iFooty (Free)

One of the best if not thee best football application. You get league information including football news & live results of games!

0870 (Free)

Used this today while at my sisters house. You enter a premium 0870 or 0845 number & it tries and finds a landline which you then will cost you only your minutes instead of 35p a minute! As soon as you put in the number & hit call it finds the number within 5 seconds & then gives you the option to call it.

Wikipedia (Free)

Wiki on your phone – actually limits data from the original site, but still clearer on the iPhone screen

Wikipedia (Free)

Wiki on your phone

Planets (Free)

Cool App

On this day (Free)

What happened on this day in the past

Dictionary (Free)

Large App - useful

First Aid (Free)

How to save your mates life!

RADIO / MUSIC

iCar Radio lite (free)

One of the disappointing thigns about the iphone is that it doesn't have an FM radio tuner, but this streams radio over the internet and has radio 1 listed. Altough there's a ridiculous number of stations, listening to the radio over your iphone is flawed in the first place. This lite option doesn't allow you to select 'fav' stations, maybe the paid one does?

Shazam (Cost=?)

Cool app that 'listens' to any music playing from an external source, and tells you what the track is!

Clock Radio Free (free)

A great app that gives you access to thousands of digital radio stations... Everyone loves .977 - 'The 80s channel', right?

Games:

Plants Vs Zombies (£1.79)

Fantstic fun, better than Doodle in some opinions.

Angry Birds(59p)

Again, fantstic fun, brilliantly put together and excellent value for money with loads of levels. Flings birds at stuff; genuis! :D Free trial available

Fragger(59p) - or trial for free

A game for those that love Angry Birds. A must for those that need something after fully completing the former game. Free trial available.

Cut the rope(59p)

Another brilliant puzzle game with a monster in a box that needs to be fed candy. You have to direct the candy to him that is attached to a rope or ropes, often using other things to help.

Doodlejump (59p)

Best game so far

Finger Physics (Free and not free)

The free version has loads of levels which is good. Full version has sheds loads.

Geared (Free and not free)

Quite feandish, but very much fun! The free version 16 levels. Full version has sheds loads.

Roller Coaster Builder (free and not free)

Another fun app that I tried then bought the full version.

Fling (free and not free)

Fun game making use of the touch screen facility. Free version has bugger all on it. Full version is worth the price.

Zombie Smash

Hard work but fun.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jailbreak = custom modded firmware for non-apple apps Matt.

Recommended apps by me :

Tube Duluxe - good for getting aroudn the underground in london

Bejewelled 2 - far too good a waste of time

Flight Control - another game

Flashlight

Pocketpedia - helps track what games/movies/books/music you own

Geared - Good Puzzle Game

Units - Converts mm/inches/kg/pounds etc

Orange Wednesdays app - if you're not on orange you can buy a orange PAYG sim and register and get 2-4-1 on o2 :D

Fieldrunners

Things - Task manager

For game reviews go check out http://toucharcade.com/

For general apps http://appshopper.com/ can be ok....

If you're going to buy a sat-nav program consider CoPilot before TomTom as TT is vastly overpriced.

I've got about 50 apps downloaded but not all of them on my iPhone (as you may know iTunes stores them all so you can pick and choose which to have installed at any one time via your comptuer).

There are a few apps out there for converting MP3 files to Ringtones for the iPhone - best one on OSX is iToner I think, but you'd have to google around for the best one for Windows / Linux etc.

Few application recommendation's from me, though mine is a 2G iPhone which I've had for nearly 2 years. Though some of the apps are pretty new & some not be any difference to your one.

iFooty = Brilliant, tells you scores & live match reports, league tables etc & more footy news.

BBC News = You can also sync the news offline so then you can use on the underground.

Shotgun = You will understand when you get it :D

Flixster = This is brilliant app which tells you about new movie releases, lets you watch trailers & the best part, you can check where your nearest cinema is & what time they have viewings for which ever film you want to watch. Its Ace!

iFighter = Great flight shooting game.

eBay = If you bid or sell stuff.

Scramble = Scramble

Urbanspoon = Tells you all your local eatery's & gives you their phone number & location via map!

Just a few to mention, I have about 30 applications installed on my 16GB 2G and you can install a whole lot more. Thing is it just depends on what you need. You do have a lot of things which can be very useful, an those which are not so useful but you will install anyway!

Jailbreak = custom modded firmware for non-apple apps Matt.

Recommended apps by me :

Tube Duluxe - good for getting aroudn the underground in london

Bejewelled 2 - far too good a waste of time

Flight Control - another game

Flashlight

Pocketpedia - helps track what games/movies/books/music you own

Geared - Good Puzzle Game

Units - Converts mm/inches/kg/pounds etc

Orange Wednesdays app - if you're not on orange you can buy a orange PAYG sim and register and get 2-4-1 on o2 :D

Fieldrunners

Things - Task manager

For game reviews go check out http://toucharcade.com/

For general apps http://appshopper.com/ can be ok....

If you're going to buy a sat-nav program consider CoPilot before TomTom as TT is vastly overpriced.

I've got about 50 apps downloaded but not all of them on my iPhone (as you may know iTunes stores them all so you can pick and choose which to have installed at any one time via your comptuer).

There are a few apps out there for converting MP3 files to Ringtones for the iPhone - best one on OSX is iToner I think, but you'd have to google around for the best one for Windows / Linux etc.

Cheers Caseys! Literally just downloaded the orange wednesdasy! For the ringtone apps you mention, do they require your phone to be 'jail breaked'?

Few application recommendation's from me, though mine is a 2G iPhone which I've had for nearly 2 years. Though some of the apps are pretty new & some not be any difference to your one.

iFooty = Brilliant, tells you scores & live match reports, league tables etc & more footy news.

BBC News = You can also sync the news offline so then you can use on the underground.

Shotgun = You will understand when you get it :D

Flixster = This is brilliant app which tells you about new movie releases, lets you watch trailers & the best part, you can check where your nearest cinema is & what time they have viewings for which ever film you want to watch. Its Ace!

iFighter = Great flight shooting game.

eBay = If you bid or sell stuff.

Scramble = Scramble

Urbanspoon = Tells you all your local eatery's & gives you their phone number & location via map!

Just a few to mention, I have about 30 applications installed on my 16GB 2G and you can install a whole lot more. Thing is it just depends on what you need. You do have a lot of things which can be very useful, an those which are not so useful but you will install anyway!

Good stuff :thumbs:

For the ringtone apps you mention, do they require your phone to be 'jail breaked'?

The OSX version doesn't, as it just hooks into iTunes and syncs to the iPhone so no jailbreaking required.

As for Windows versions I cannot tell. Check out www.ambrosiasw.com and search for iToner and see if they do a windows version, last time I read they were beta testing one.

The OSX version doesn't, as it just hooks into iTunes and syncs to the iPhone so no jailbreaking required.

As for Windows versions I cannot tell. Check out www.ambrosiasw.com and search for iToner and see if they do a windows version, last time I read they were beta testing one.

OK ta,

I really want the 'saw' films tune as my ringtone but not sure how to go about it. What do you recommend?

the train line is free = train info

tv guide = free up to date tv info

words with friends = free scrabble

moron test = free fun test for morons

-----

there is a theme here.

(also be aware that jailbreak iphones are not virus protected and you won't get the auto updates.)

OK ta,

I really want the 'saw' films tune as my ringtone but not sure how to go about it. What do you recommend?

If you've got it on DVD download Handbrake www.handbrake.fr

Rip the first chapter to MP4 (video + Audio), you can then import it in iTunes and convert it to MP3 and edit the track so it's only 30 seconds long or such.

Or check other downloadable interweb links and I'm sure people using P2P software have loads of movie themes already converted to MP3 for ringtones.

If you've got it on DVD download Handbrake www.handbrake.fr

Rip the first chapter to MP4 (video + Audio), you can then import it in iTunes and convert it to MP3 and edit the track so it's only 30 seconds long or such.

Or check other downloadable interweb links and I'm sure people using P2P software have loads of movie themes already converted to MP3 for ringtones.

Cheers again :thumbs: