The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Future Supra Owner!

Guest natm

Hi All,

I am currently a FTO owner and I do love it, would like some thing faster.

Look to get one when Im 23 due to insurance (will be 22 1st of Jan)

I would love a break down of all the different model trims. I take it the TT manual is the one to go for? Is there much difference in the Auto?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I get the right one.:)

Thanks

depends how you wanna drive it.

Mines a manual but i'd prefer auto with it being a daily driver and spend a lot of my time going up and down gears in traffic.

Peter

mines a manual and I wouldnt consider an Auto despite being a daily driver and spending a lot of my time going up and down the 6sp short shifted gearbox in traffic :)

Dont get me wrong - I do like Autos (family cars, executive cars) but not an Auto SUPRA.......I prefer to drive the car.

As above.

I generally prefer auto's, very relaxing in everyday use, good for overtaking or instant bursts of speed (no clutch in, down a gear, change gear m'larky). Also they are a enjoyable when pushing on your favourite roads as well. The Supra has an exceptionally good automatic gearbox and I put it in the same class as modern executive cars like the Jaguar R-types, Mercs and Volvos which have some of the best autoboxes I have had the pleasure of using.

A manual will always be the icing on the cake for track day addicts. Also if you want serious big BHP a car with a 6spd manual gearbox will make life easier for you.

I have owned two autos and a manual and I definitely prefer the auto over the clunky manual box.

The only way to be certain is to try both types out. Some swear by the manual, others by the auto. Whichever one you get it will be enjoyable and dont let the fact that it is an auto make you think it wont be. I enjoy an auto way more than I ever did the manual.

My FTO is an Auto and I love it and it does have a Tiptronic mode for when I am in the mood for it!

I think trying both is the best Idea, but I am thing manual is the way forward this time.

Anyone know if one is for sale round the Henley-On-Thames area?

I have found some Supra's in High Wycombe both auto and Manuals in the same place, I think I might have to have a go and have a chat with them see if they will let me try both. Hope they are nice!?

I have found some Supra's in High Wycombe both auto and Manuals in the same place, I think I might have to have a go and have a chat with them see if they will let me try both. Hope they are nice!?

Do let us know how you get on, what ever you do, dont let them rush you into making a decision.

I have found some Supra's in High Wycombe
:D . . . . cough ;)

What budget have you got? as the auto is 6k and the manual 9k, so a 3k gap there for starters. If you want a manual they will always be well more expensive wherever you look.

I was looking for a Supra for 4 months and to be honest my problem was I was trying to stay local which was a mistake. I ended up going to view in Essex off a classified here (140 miles there from Derbyshire) and pick it up Saturday. My advice would be decide your top budget, scour the for sale threads on here and dont put distance in the way of finding "the right car for you":) (within reason) Failing the Ads on here, though there are plently for sale try Pistonheads and avoid Egay

Heres one for starters http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=179034

Scotty71

Edited by scotty71 (see edit history)

I was looking at a budget of £10k, it was just I have never driven a Supra before and I through that these two would be a good example of pretty standard cars to get a feel for them.

I think the classified on here would be the best place the piston heads.

I was looking at a budget of £10k, it was just I have never driven a Supra before and I through that these two would be a good example of pretty standard cars to get a feel for them.

I think the classified on here would be the best place the piston heads.

Well if you have 10k to spend:d the classifieds here are your best bet in my opinion 100%,cars will be known to the club and maybe owned by previous club members too :)

How about this??

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=202854

Maybe you need to speak to Jurgen also at JM Imports with that kind of budget.......;)

Scotty71

Edited by scotty71
my bad smelling...i mean spelling ;) (see edit history)

Ok these are the two I was thinking about;

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1417545.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1417547.htm

Hopefully i should get to see them next week. What are peoples thoughts?

Ta

being the age that these cars service history is everything. check and verify the mileage through receipts, MOT certificates, HPI, etc.

if there is no service history then I would walk away unless you are prepared to trust the dealer (something that would be very hard for me to do)