The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Goodyear F1 GSD3 or Toyo T1-R ??

Multics

I need a new pair of front tyres, rang a few places...

I can get a pair of GSD3's for £115 each or T1-R's for £172 fitted.

Taking into account the price difference, are the Toyo's much better than the GSD3's to justify spending extra cash for them?

I have to make a quick choice, I'm leaving in two days for a trip around Benelux and need something asap, today actually :)

Nope I'd say they're on a par and you'll likely get better wear out of the GSD3's.

Personally I'd go Falken FK-452's over either.

Cheers,

Brian.

I had Toyo T-1R's on my car originally which I couldn't fault but this time tried the Falken 452's after recommendations on here. I absolutely hate them, there is just no grip at all so they will be coming off as soon as the car is back on the road.

I had Toyo T-1R's on my car originally which I couldn't fault but this time tried the Falken 452's after recommendations on here. I absolutely hate them, there is just no grip at all so they will be coming off as soon as the car is back on the road.

That's because it's icy. ;)

When my rears need replacing, I'll be going for the 452s, as long as they are still making them by then, as I've heard they're stopping that version soon, or something?

The GSD3s are very good, but I've really taken to the 452s on the front, as they don't tramline at all, and give good grip and wear IMO.

I've had all three (on 18inch wheels) and in order I'd say:

Dry Grip

1. Toyo

2. F1 (marginal 2nd place to the Toyo - very marginal)

3. Falken

Wet/Cold Grip

1. F1

2. Toyo

3. Falken

Wear

1. Falken

2. F1

3. Toyo

I would recommend (and currently am running) the F1's.

Goodyear Ayssametrics eagles are really good in the dry and brilliant in the wet highly recomended

They'll probably be my next choice although I'm interested to see what RE050A are like on stock 17's and also want to try some Ultarc Sessanta on my 18's for wet grip - also supposed to be very good in the wet.

I hated the GSD3's on my N/A - they would lose grip if they so much as saw cows lying down, let alone any proper rain. I couldn't pull out of junctions in the damp with anything more than tickover or the rears would just light up. Good for impressing kids as you spent most of the time in a cloud of tyre smoke (doing 5mph).

Switched to T1R's and the difference was incredible, tons of grip and they are lasting me about 14-16 months of daily driving (300+ miles a week).

i'm glad you said that Smarty i was beginning to think it was just me with the Falkens :blink:, i dont know what power people are running with the Falkens but with a small single @ 500hp they were simply the worst tyres i have had, i also had some of the old Toyo T1-S on the back which were good but now have the Goodyear asymetrics which are the best tyres i have run

Edited by paul mac
appaling grammer (see edit history)

i'm glad you said that Smarty i was beginning to think it was just me with the Falkens :blink:, i dont know what power people are running with the Falkens but with a small single @ 500hp they were simply the worst tyres i have had, i also had some of the old Toyo T1-S on the back which were good but now have the Goodyear asymetrics which are the best tyres i have run

As above. The only tyres I have found worse than 452's were Khumos. I haven't tried the Toyos but do love the F1's. The GSD3's were very good and the Asymmetric are a step above.

I don't get it because I've got a single tubby and haven't experienced anything near what you lot are describing with the 452's????

It must have more to do with wheel size, tyre pressure, suspension and geo set up than the actual quality of tyre I suppose.

There are as many people on here that love the 452's as those that don't.

However, a very high majority of people that have used F1's Love them compared to those that don't.

The only answer is to try them both on your car with your set up.:)

Oh yeah just to add, (on my car) The F1 Asymmetric are s^*t in the snow! Once moving and a bit of temperature in them they are fine but actually getting it moving even on a flat road with snow/ice is a struggle. :rolleyes:

Very fun round corners though! :D

Oh don't get me wrong I'd take the F1's dry grip any day over the 452's but there is no inner edge protection at all on the F1's and with my camber setup I lose the inside edge on an F1 to chords with pretty much an entire set of tread left on the rest of the tyre which is not acceptable. When I get 1000 miles on the 452's I'll let you know my verdict on them for that. Looking at the Vredesteins they seem to have come up with an idea to prevent that wear and have put a shoulder down that weak side. I don't know if they have the same compound as the F1 though.