The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's red and idles?

Ian C

:D

Can I just lay the myth that (a facelift at least) stock ECU will compensate for 550cc injectors?

A buggered AFC won't do it either.

A shiny E-Manage will though...

Just gotta sort a slight misfire (probably the plugs again poor things), change the oil (that is now probably mostly petrol), and put the whole bastard car back together but I now have a happier sounding engine, a stoichiometric hunt (careful how fast you say that) on the O2 sensor, and I can lift off and idle as much as I like.

I'm off to :cry: tears of happiness.

I would like to thank the following heros:

For hands-on assistance:

Darren Blake - for oscilloscopage, electronics skills, and generally being very very helpful

Brian Duff - for writing off his Supra so that I could borrow sensors from it's corpse a few weeks later, and also loaning his new one for me to poke and prod

Matt Harwood - for all assistance given and making a 500 mile round trip to try and help

For on-call support and BBS postings:

Terry Saunders

Alex Holdroyd

Chris Wilson

Nathan of TDI

Martin F

Dude

Dandan

MLC

JB

Syed Shah

Adam Wootten

Eyefi

For listening and generally supporting me through this dark time:

Rosie Webb

Mark Germany

Andy Carter

-Ian

Yup. Well, I haven't tried the AFC in again but as the last time I put it in it caused horrendous misfires and stuff and didn't change the airflow no matter what setting I put in, and the E-Manage immediately sorted it all out, I'm tempted to say it's f***ed :D

Which is a shame as I was gonna sell it lol. Ebay, anyone? :D

-Ian

Guest Terry S

Mate that is Fantastic. I know how much it's been bugging you. Really pleased for you mate. Go throgh some toluene in her and advance the timing some, see if it works. Top Boy:thumbs:

Most of the car is now back together, Alex popped round and cleaned up & refitted my plugs while I tidied up the passenger footwell and refitted my boost controller, sounds great now with the clean plugs, Alex couldn't believe they fired before, I've never seen them so black either :eek:

Yeah, Terry, it has been "bugging" me just a bit :) I haven't got any tuning gear yet for ignition advance etc. but I do have a wideband in the post :sly:

-Ian

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by Chris Wilson

I have said from time immemoriable that you can't just fit bigger injectors and expect the stock ecu to know what to do with them... Glad you have finally sorted this, and others PLEASE take note :(

:blink: Did anyone actually believe different

Guest Terry S

I am sure it will try it's hardest to lean them out for idling with the narrow band but it would never had worked.

CW was right all along, what didn't help was a) the myth that the ECU could just about trim 550's back, b) my AFC going wrong in a funny and extremely non-obvious way (suddenly not changing the airflow despite it reporting it was), and c) my dodgy memory thinking I ran the car OK without the airflow being trimmed back when I first did the upgrade. I now think I sensibly put in a -15% or so reduction across the board and then tootled over to CW's to get it mapped properly.

It wasn't expecting the stock ECU to know what to do with them per se, just that people think (myself included before all this) the closed loop system can trim back 'small' increases in injectors size.

Well, it can't :baa:

-Ian

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by eyefi

i bet the relief was excellent :)

Like when you've got the trots and JUST make the loo.......:D

Dodgy SAFC huh? I had this happen to me last year, exactly the same by the sounds of it. In fact, if you search back through my posts you might even find one sugesting exactly that . . . :D :innocent: ;)

WB will be going out first thing tomorrow, would have posted it sooner but haven't been home this weekend. :thumbs:

Well done for getting it sorted and not pushing the car in a lake :devil:

Originally posted by Adam W

Dodgy SAFC huh? I had this happen to me last year, exactly the same by the sounds of it. In fact, if you search back through my posts you might even find one sugesting exactly that . . . :D :innocent: ;)

Don't remember that :innocent: Besides, I removed it, no change, move on to next potential cause - you know how these things work. Also don't forget I had all those bad plug connections at the ECU plug throwing me curve balls left right and centre. At least all those are sorted as well now :)

WB will be going out first thing tomorrow, would have posted it sooner but haven't been home this weekend. :thumbs:

Cool, hopefully it will screw into the CW centre section bung.

Well done for getting it sorted and not pushing the car in a lake :devil:

Couldn't find one near enough.

-Ian