The mkiv Supra Owners Club

want a manual box in my aerotop

supra steveo

There's no pedal box in the supra, the pedals are independant.

If the car is off the road then getting the main fitment bits out of the way will save time. Clutch mechanism fitting I found the trickiest, though not particularly difficult. The trans tunnel mods is another one that takes a good few hours, but will need the existing box removed to do that.

I agree with Homer. The transmission tunnel is a right pain. Especially seems you have to cut inside the centre part of the dash. I suppose its alot easier with something like a plasma cutted bit I had to use an angle grinder lol.

The panel i got from toyota was a terrible fit too. It must have took me a good few hours just to get it to sit right even after I had cut the tunnel and removed all the underseal.

Like I said Steve if you want a look at how it all goes together giz a buzz.

The panel i got from toyota was a terrible fit too. It must have took me a good few hours just to get it to sit right even after I had cut the tunnel and removed all the underseal.

The tunnel plate was a 'reasonably' direct fit on mine, but as you say every last bit of the old plate and all the underseal must be removed (one of the PITA parts). Killed a decent chisell doing that alone!

It does need a fair bit of p*ssing about to get it fitted perfectly though. Just make sure it's marked up correctly before fitting or the shifter won't sit right - this part is essential otherwise you'll need to start again

I just used a jigsaw with a decent blade and a drill to get through it, the dash needs a careful hand to avoid chopping the support though :D

i suppose to someone like me its fairly straight forward as when i 1st started in the trade i was doing structural panel work, granted i havnt tackled it yet but i cant see it being that hard....

my suggestion would be to follow dudes write up he did on mr wild's car :)

my suggestion would be to follow dudes write up he did on mr wild's car :)

It a great reference for whats needed but missed a couple of items on lining the plate up. That part is VERY important.

i presume this work is only needed from auto to manual right?

Correct :)

The tunnel plate was a 'reasonably' direct fit on mine, but as you say every last bit of the old plate and all the underseal must be removed (one of the PITA parts). Killed a decent chisell doing that alone!

Think yourself lucky mate. I nearly killed myself. Whilst chiselling the underseal I decided it would be cool to hit myself in the face with my claw hammer. Dont ask me how i managed it cos to this day i have no idea. For some reason the hammer fell out of my hand and into my face.:blink:

I did the conversion myself on my aero top tt was not to bad finished within 3 weekends. I followed dudes guide on here and the odd pm for help to be honest if you wouldnt fit a clutch yourself dont try doing this yourself not sure on afr's prices at the moment but it was something like 3200 fitted with a new clutch which is a very good deal I would have snapped this up if I didnt have the ramps at home.

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

I would have rather kept the Autobox that all the messing around. I suppose if you are going to tackle a project like this though the winter is the time to do it.

I personally would have liked to remove my manual box and fit an Auto but the process would be far to involved and expensive for me and i can't take the car off the road as it's my daily driver.

Good luck with the project though :)

Peter