Stiffening up an aerotop

hodge

Ok guys and girls.

So far I have bought for my aerotop project:-

Front TRD strut brace

Rear Tein strut brace

Do-luck floor bar

Half cage (rear)

Is there anything else I can use. Michel Lane mentioned front braces which go behind the wings. There a triangular shape.

Anymore ideas.

Is there not a lower strut brace which you can fit at the back? I've seen a lot of Civic's have them and as well as looking brilliant it would add more support aiding the rear strut braces in the boot.

Though Jamie's idea of a full roll cage is the best way to get full strength, though that comes with the price of weight.

I doubt the half cage is doing anything especially if its bolted in and not welded. I may be wrong.

I have seen a bar on other members cars that go from each side just behind the front seats. No idea on the name though.

Also an under the car strut brace, again no idea on the correct name.

The braces are going to make little difference, the fundamental problem with the aerotop is the lack of upper brace (roof level). The ONLY way to get decent chassis stiffness is to have a full cage welded in. Front/rear braces, floor bars, etc won't make a blind bit of difference - if anything they will make the car more unbalanced.

I've driven a lot of aero top cars over the years and always find them a bit unsettling no matter how many braces they have. The only one that felt like the hardtop was a fully caged one.

You have a box with most of two opposite sides and the top missing. Such objects are obviously inherently floppy. You can either put a top on the box using a roll cage structure, or massively reinforce the floor and sills in torsion and bending, which is a major exercise that will be all but impossible to do without a lot of compromises and adding a LOT of weight. The DoLuck things are akin to trying to stiffen the Eiffel Tower with a long piece of 2" x 2" timber.

A basic welded in cage is by far easiest, cheapest and most effective solution, apart from selling it and buying a proper one ;)

I'm surprised with your welding skills Chris you dont make your own.

My welding skills are dire, one out of ten jobs turn out as I'd like :) What are you suggesting I make, a roll cage? I wouldn't even try and make my own, my Skyline shell is going straight to Safety Devices, I wouldn't attempt something like that in a million years :)

Hijack

Can these abflug bars be used to keep harnesses level (a bit like the Sparco harness bar)? If so where from & how much?

:D

x 2. I like the look of that Abflug bar.

apart from selling it and buying a proper one ;)

Buy a hard top?

This forum can only have so many aero projects!

HHMMMMM Well we all know thats not going to happen lol.

I really dont want to fit a full cage in the car. Im starting to think im gona have to live with it and just stiffen it up the bet I can.