The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best place to get replacement O2 sensors?

leonardjon

Well that quote was from Toyota (Steve Manley) :blink:

The UK Spec has 2 sensors as I'm aware?#

I saw the thread(s) where Nic had them at around £80, but would that be for UK spec too? In any case, that wouldn't be till some point in the new year :(

I'd certainly give Paul from Whifbitz a call or PM him from here.

If you want OE sensors from a UK Toyota dealer, that's about the going retail.

You can fit aftermarket O2 sensors using stainless adaptor plates I can supply. These are a LOT cheaper, but you have to cut the connectors off the old ones and solder them on the new, connector less, new ones. The bits to do this come in the kit. Given a decent budget I always prefer to buy new OE sensors, but plenty of people have used my generic ones with no problem. Some generic ones are better than others!!!! I have tried a few on Supras before finding these that work as expected. They are £84 each plus VAT, and the adaptors, with gaskets, are £11 each plus VAT.

Is that to say that the OEM Toyota ones are generally better quality? In terms of lifespan etc given the difference in cost?

Also, would using generic ones affect the ability to use the genuine toyota ones again in the future - or would you just need to re-solder?

First question, yes, the Toyota ones are better quality, but probably not a lot in it. The OE ones should last a good 100,000 miles plus. The generic ones? Dunno, but probably not as long. I'd be lying to say there'll be no difference. For example OE ones HAVE to warm up in X seconds, to meet emissions regs on new cars. That won't affect an MOT though.

Second question: You just plug an OE one in, if fitted at a later date, you won't be touching the loom side connector at all.

Brilliant, thanks for your honesty :)

The car is still running with the original sensors so are probably a bit overdue a change based on mileage then. I did notice a fair increase in fuel consumption over a time too but that could be just me imagining things.

I may be in touch!