The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Been offered a nice Aristo as a swap for my NA, opinions please.

Dave_SZ-R

As per the title, Ive just been to view a 95 TT Aristo with tons of nice extras. Coilovers, 19s, amazing sounds with dash mount screen, full decat exhaust, aftermarket intake, leather leccy seats. Car is very clean, bodywork immaculate, has about 70K miles on the clock (still in km).

Hes looking to swap for my NA, which as some of you will know is a 97 SZ-R 6 speed manual in Gunmetal grey (6no) with about 85K miles on it (also still in km). Immaculate bodywork, Do-Luck front, Bomex skirts, Blitz rear, de-spoilerd, aerieled and wipered. It has afew other bits, 18s, 5Zigen exhaust, Apexi induction etc.

My plan was always to put a 2JZ-GTE in the car, being a 6-speed and all but Im just not gonna have the spare £2k+ anytime soon. Also, being realistic, I only own one car, so the Supra just isnt getting driven in anger nearly as much as it should.

I know Aristos are hard to sell on, but I have always like them, and Elise-like agility isnt really high on my list. It should also be noted that there is some money going my way in this deal, not a straight swap.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, as Im kinda stuck here.

Also, I would consider selling the Supra for about £5K, I have a full for sale thread in the for sale forum if interested.

Thanks, Dave.

Are you basically seeing this as a compromise as you want more power but don't have the funds? If so you wont be fully happy with it. for a start its heavier, uglier and wont handle as well as the supra. You will then want a 6tt but will be stuck with a car that's difficult to get rid of.

On the other hand if you want a larger car, with a good engine that you also know your way around then I say go for it!

IMO your Supra is gorgeous!

If there's any possibility of you getting a TT lump in there in the future then I'd honestly stick with it.

The Aristo is nice, always had a soft spot for them (will probably consider a TT variant when I have kids ;) )however I'm not keen on the Chrome wheels.

It's a tough one, but I'd hold out with the Supra for now, being a '97 a dare say it'll be worth a few quid even without a TT lump ;)

Are you basically seeing this as a compromise as you want more power but don't have the funds? If so you wont be fully happy with it. for a start its heavier, uglier and wont handle as well as the supra. You will then want a 6tt but will be stuck with a car that's difficult to get rid of.

On the other hand if you want a larger car, with a good engine that you also know your way around then I say go for it!

Its tough, I HAVE always liked Aristos since I saw what was most likely a GS300 with some mods well over 10 years ago on the west coast of Scotland. Seeing that car got me looking at them, so Ive always had a thing for them (and Supras obviously). I commute, shop, go to the gym and basically everything else in this car. As great as the 6 speed box is, I can honestly say I dont need it, all that clutching can become a PITA in the morning traffic.

Id be lying if I said I didnt want more power, I think every NA owner does after a while.

I drove an automatic Mustang in the US last year, and it was a revelation. True, it was a bit slushy, but once you knew how to get it to 'kick down' it was fine. Obviously the Aristo has a fair bit more power too.

I was out for a drive in the Aristo earlier today, and it was so comfortable and smooth, different experience to the Supra in alot of ways and noticeably quicker.

Obviously the looks are a question of personal taste, but as I said, I really like the look...

Ultimately I suppose it is a little bit of a compromise then, but an easy compromise for me.

Would still get a better deal overall if I sold my car first and bought from the Aristo owner rather than swapping, but I put the Supra up 2 weeks ago and its still here...

oooo tough call.....

I really like that aristo. I too have a soft spot for them but you have to do what your gut tells you and stick with it!

I looked at supras and skylines over here but plumped for a ford v8.... I just wanted a bit more luxury than the skyline and supra's that I saw could give me.

Sounds like this might be the car for you... like you say, it is a lot more comfortable & yes a lot more smoother & easier to drive, its faster & you like the looks (Like you say looks is a personal taste). If he offers you a good deal then I'd go for it. If you don't like it then you can always sell (if you get a good deal then this not a problem) and get another Supe.

I think its alright, just change the wheels... though they are not bad, they don't shout look I just like putting big things on my car. The whole car body is clean and the suspension has been altered to fit the 19ins, though the 18ins on your Supe make it look like it is on stilts! :p

Guest markyvtec
Sounds like this might be the car for you... like you say, it is a lot more comfortable & yes a lot more smoother & easier to drive, its faster & you like the looks (Like you say looks is a personal taste). If he offers you a good deal then I'd go for it. If you don't like it then you can always sell (if you get a good deal then this not a problem) and get another Supe.

I think its alright, just change the wheels... though they are not bad, they don't shout look I just like putting big things on my car. The whole car body is clean and the suspension has been altered to fit the 19ins, though the 18ins on your Supe make it look like it is on stilts! :p

lol just shows diff tastes people have,the aristo in question is mine and i two am in two minds what to do,after owning a tt supra,400bhp gtr skyline,500bhp gts skyline,300bhp focus rs,200sx with a skyline engine in the past its a bit under powered for me in saying that i love the look off the supra but as i said to dave wont cry myself to sleep if the deal dosnt come off.. the car needs to been seen in the flesh(trust me it turns haters in to lovers) if its still here by april my rebuilt t67( i have sitting in a box in my house) will be getting put on along with a change of wheels.. car already has a fmic,walbro fuel pump,intake,decat,exhaust,and an fcd so a boost controller would see more power instantly..

Edited by markyvtec
typo (see edit history)

This is a tough choice, I would be hard pushed to got for one or the other. Maybe you can work something out if you can swap your alloys over :) thats a very aquired taste on those Aristo wheels.

agree'd the wheels on th aristo have to go to be fair :p

but a great car.