The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with deciding between NA manual and TT auto

Guest Flip44

Hi guys, I've finally saved enough money and i'm in the market to buy a 94 supra jdm but i'm having trouble deciding on which to get. i've saved a little over 9k(canadian) and i've found both a auto TT and a Na manual for around 8k. My plan is to work towards having a 6 speed manual tt but it's just not in my budget yet. SO my question is, which road is fast and cheap to reach my goal? buying the auto, then buying a 6speed trans and switching it or. buying the na and replacing the engine and trans?

My end goal is to make my supra a drift car, i've owned a S15 and it's time to step it up with my drifting at the track.

I was also considering buying the Na and making it an NA-T if thats a good idea?

I know this has been covered before but I'm still a little lost.

any help would be awesome.

Hi Flip (no other name?).

A TT all the way, if you buy the NA in the back of your mind there will always be this little voice saying "should have bought the TT", I know it happened to me :D .

I've been a manual driver for over 30 years and then 2.5 years ago I bought my Auto TT and once I had found out how it all worked and used it in all its modes there realy isnt that much loss of fun and a lot of the time its so much easier to drive.

Get the TT, and welcome to the club, if you have a Supra this is where you need to be.

Bob.

Edited by BOB B (see edit history)

How could you even think about it for more than 1 second?!?! An N/A is boring and slow. A TT is fast and so so much fun, with loads of potential to be even quicker, loads of tuning mods yo can buy for it etc. You can only modify the exterior of an N/A, you'll be so bored of it after a week. The auto box is still loads of fun.

im sorry but to be honst im sick of hearing how NA's are 'boring and slow' :rolleyes:

A manual NA with a strong engine is loads of fun with much less things to go wrong mechanicaly so i dont see the problem with owning 1

I know what you mean pal, bet most of the TT owners still live at home with parents, in which case we could all afford a TT or single turbo monster

I Would by an NA 6-speed but can't find any, so i'ma just buy the auto tt and swap it with a 6 speed trans. I have friends that have both an tt and an NA supra, and the NA is fun but the tt is in a very different level....part of the reason i dont want the 5 speed tt, not to metion that it also the suspension and shit thats different as well

You thats for all the help guys I have two more question?

1)Have people converted auto tt's to aerotops before? cause I'm looking to work towards it being a 6-speed tt aerotop.

2)Is it hard finding 6 speed transmissions?

welcome flip44 i dont have many experience in supra world i bought my tt auto 2 month ago, auto is very fun but i allready bought 6 speed swap for my car from a user in the forum.

my opnion collect all the info about the 2 cars and decide what is the best for you.

you can find allways someone that is selling the swap kit

You thats for all the help guys I have two more question?

1)Have people converted auto tt's to aerotops before? cause I'm looking to work towards it being a 6-speed tt aerotop.

Hello Flip,

Welcome TTC.

I am sure it is possible to convert to an aerotop but why put yourself through the hassle when you could buy an aerostop as a base to start from. Personally if you are planning on doing drifting then I would not recommend an aerotop.

They are available, I believe AdnanShah247 is selling his 6 Speed.

1) No. If you want an Aerotop buy an Aerotop, just be aware that they are quite flexible.

2) Very hard, and rather expensive.

ya, i'veheard that aerotops flex, thought it be fun at the drift club with my roff off but i'ma not, i'm really wanting preformance..Not the type to just mod my car but not push it to the edge...

• 2 weeks later...

So i've been looking online for 6 speeds and I can't find shit. If I was to put a 5 speed in stead of a 6speed, is it still better to buy the auto and go that road rather then get the na and swap the engine. I've hear that the tt models are different not only in the engine but in suspension, and the ABS

So i've been looking online for 6 speeds and I can't find shit. If I was to put a 5 speed in stead of a 6speed, is it still better to buy the auto and go that road rather then get the na and swap the engine. I've hear that the tt models are different not only in the engine but in suspension, and the ABS

From what I gather from your post you want to build a drift car? If this is your goal then IMO the S15 would have been a much better car to use than the Supra. You don't need to have 400BHP to have a good drift car.

Yes the model's from NA & TT are different. If your end goal is to have a 6 Speed TT, then the easier route would be to get a TT Auto & then convert to a manual. If you get an 5SP NA & then a lot of work will need to be involved including engine & transmission.