The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing cam covers

jackso11

There seem to be mixed reviews on this.

I am going to change mine for polished ones, or get mine polished. So my question is this, when they come off, will I need to buy anything new to put them back on?

According to this I need all sorts of things...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=178509&highlight=cam+covers+gasket

According to loads of other threads and people on here, the gaskets are rubber so they just need a wipe and then back on again with nothing new needed.

Am I right in thinking there are internal and external cam covers and all I will be taking off is the external covers? so in effect...covers for the real cam covers?

Guest SupraGTE

where to start :)

if you want to do it by the book, then you change all , bolts and nuts really not needed i would say .

you can do fine with your old gasket , but i would not recomend it , if you can re-use the old gasket is mostly up to if it has become hard or not ,if it is still soft it might be ok, but as you are changing covers because you want to make the engine bay nicer i would not re-use that's IMO

same for the breather hose, if you can remove them with out damage and cracking them you might re-use them , but if the start leaking you will have oil on your coilpacks

so gaskets, breather hose , and and seal washers is what i would change and if you want to change bolts then i would go for chromed or SS

Edited by SupraGTE
info added (see edit history)