The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra's Jap Plates.

devan

Was randomly looking through my Export Certificate, when i came across my Supra's old registration number from Japan, and i thought id have a bit of a look on the net and research what it all meant.

Below are what i found, if anybodys interested lol. I just wanted to know a bit of history about my Supra.

Not sure if its all correct and accurate, but i had a go lol. :D

Below is how the plate would of looked on my Supra from 1994 to 2006 in Japan, i think.

"Shina" means goods and you're correct "kawa" means river. The translation from Kanji into Hiragana is slightly different though with "Shinagawa" and not "Shinakawa". I'm not sure why as my Kanji is terrible, but "gawa" means "side" so that may be why. I believe Shinagawa used to be a major port, hence the name and the Kanji (notice how the first kanji looks like boxes and the second a river...). Goods by the side of the river... Now it's full of office blocks and expensive restaurants.

"ne" can mean any number of things (including the example you gave), but in this case it's just a kana symbol with no specific meaning. Many others are also used to give the necessary number of registrations.

When you buy a car you can request specific numbers and if they're available within your area they'll let you have them for a small fee. E.g. when I bought my R34 they gave me "34". The top number on my plate is "340". I've never bothered to find out what it means, assumed it was another random number and they gave me second 34 on there just to make me look a complete tart.:D

Mine are still on my car :) I was told it came from Tokyo, I guess we'll find that out soon enough.

is that legal in england? or are you not in england?

By the way, looks like you need a light refurb. Your chrome is peeling ;)

Edit:

Just seen you are in Canada. You are allowed to keep the Japanese plate on over there?

interesting stuff :)

'Ne'! You have a car that was once owned by one of the knights that say 'Ne'!

Dont suppose you have a ferocious white rabbit in the car too do you? :D

I'd love to know my cars history.

I bet he's got a shrubbery on the back seat....:D

is that legal in england? or are you not in england?

By the way, looks like you need a light refurb. Your chrome is peeling ;)

Edit:

Just seen you are in Canada. You are allowed to keep the Japanese plate on over there?

Hehe, I have glass headlights waiting to be put in as soon as spring hits. We're not allowed to keep the plates either, just somehow along the way as it was being shipped over, Canadian customs forgot to take off the original plates. I'm not one to point it out to them, since JDM kids are offering me the equivalent of 200 pounds for them already ;)

Also, thanks Nick for clearing up where the car came from!