The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie here, whats the radio like?

Sgtbash

Hi guys.

Im currently looking into buying a used supra ( I gained intrest after looking up some videos on youtube, what an epic car, and suggestion from a freind) And I went to a garage the other day that had a SZ-R Aerotop (I think) in.

Now although im intrested about that particular model (Any good compared to the rest of the supra range?) I didnt get a chance to listen to the radio. i like my bass I must admit, but would I have to put in my own headunit, speakers etc? It was stock, but also looked real old (as is the car really).

Anyway, anything I should know about? I can afford it, i know about the mpg etc.

But what upgrades should I apply?

Again, im a total noob with Supra's but any suggestions/tips would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance guys!:D

Hello & Welcome TTC.

If your serious about getting a Supra I'd have a good look here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Loads of information about model types and the difference between the model. We have quite a few members cars which are for sale on the forum, plus we have good traders who can supply or import you a car.

Have a good look around on the forum and the search button will answer a lot of questions. The standard system is not brilliant, and chances are you will want to upgrade the sound system. Loads of options on upgrading depending on your sound.

Cheers Abz, I am very serious, when I sat in it the otherday, I fell in love. The sound is intense, I nearly wet myself, the price is really afordable and I like the community the Supra seems to have, and also the rarity.

Anyway, seen as this supra is stock, apart from the rims, what is the most cost effective uprage, im imaganing the ECU? also how reliable as a whole are they? I can feel that the turbo is going to have some problems as its set at a high psi at stock am I correct?

Cheers Abz, I am very serious, when I sat in it the otherday, I fell in love. The sound is intense, I nearly wet myself, the price is really afordable and I like the community the Supra seems to have, and also the rarity.

Anyway, seen as this supra is stock, apart from the rims, what is the most cost effective uprage, im imaganing the ECU? also how reliable as a whole are they? I can feel that the turbo is going to have some problems as its set at a high psi at stock am I correct?

8 PSI of it's stock, TTs in stock form are virtually bullet proof, I wouldn't worry about them. They are good for 1.2bar.

8 PSI of it's stock, TTs in stock form are virtually bullet proof, I wouldn't worry about them. They are good for 1.2bar.

Thanks Dave.

Thats something I shouldnt have to deal with then.

I am going to have everything stock at first, and upgrade over time as my knowledge increases with the Supra. Is there anything Supra's are reknowned for? problems etc?

SZ-R will be non turbo n/a.

Standard system is very average but you will probably find the door speakers will have seen better days but all upgradable like any car really is and not too difficult if you like that sort of thing.

Reliability is very good considering the performance you get but remember these are getting old now so they all need looking after a little more.

Have you got any links or pics of the car you have seen? Just incase someone on here knows it and can tell you some history.

You will find a buyers guide on this site too aswel to help you in your quest..

SZ-R will be non turbo n/a.

Standard system is very average but you will probably find the door speakers will have seen better days but all upgradable like any car really is and not too difficult if you like that sort of thing.

Reliability is very good considering the performance you get but remember these are getting old now so they all need looking after a little more.

Have you got any links or pics of the car you have seen? Just incase someone on here knows it and can tell you some history.

I havn't got any pictures unfortunatly, I checked the intercooler (Its a dual core!?!?!) no rust etc, no cracks, its listed at £9,995 with 68K miles.(Im really not sure if its a good deal or not?)

Cameron

No. :) Stock boost is around a safe 1.0 bar.

If you go for the twin turbo and take the cats out you need to fit a restricter to limit your boost to 1.2 bar max on jspec.

More on UK spec.

The less you touch / change the electronics the more reliable your car will remain.

Stock and cared for they are extremely reliable.

Some issues arise from the speakers. They are quite shallow and need a bracket to mount after market items. Brackets are available here. Plenty of info in ICE section.

Best immediate upgrade.

Good tyres. Falken 452's are earning a lot of respect all over the place.

Fit HIDS. Standard lights are sh1te. :)

Then brakes if you have a Jspec.

Suspension. Everything's getting a little old now, so be wary of worn suspension parts. These are expensive by the way.

Well that's just a little to be looking at.

Read and print off the buying guide.

If possible post a link to the car here, people may know it and save you from a real nightmare.

These cars must be looked after by people who are familiar with them. :)

No. :) Stock boost is around a safe 1.0 bar.

If you go for the twin turbo and take the cats out you need to fit a restricter to limit your boost to 1.2 bar max on jspec.

More on UK spec.

The less you touch / change the electronics the more reliable your car will remain.

Stock and cared for they are extremely reliable.

Some issues arise from the speakers. They are quite shallow and need a bracket to mount after market items. Brackets are available here. Plenty of info in ICE section.

Best immediate upgrade.

Good tyres. Falken 452's are earning a lot of respect all over the place.

Fit HIDS. Standard lights are sh1te. :)

Then brakes if you have a Jspec.

Suspension. Everything's getting a little old now, so be wary of worn suspension parts. These are expensive by the way.

Well that's just a little to be looking at.

Read and print off the buying guide.

If possible post a link to the car here, people may know it and save you from a real nightmare.

These cars must be looked after by people who are familiar with them. :)

Thanks so much man, tons of information right there. Actually its lready got HIDs installed, 6000k I think, have no pictures of the car, shall get some soon, and nolink on the inter seen as they dont have a website :/

I havn't got any pictures unfortunatly, I checked the intercooler (Its a dual core!?!?!) no rust etc, no cracks, its listed at £9,995 with 68K miles.(Im really not sure if its a good deal or not?)

Cameron

That is quite expensive! You mentioned it was an SZ-R in the first post, but then mentioned a turbo.

The aero top only came in TT auto and NA forms, but SZ-R is an NA. THe turbo's are all RZ, RZ-S or GZ. If it's a TT it should a a GZ as that's the only turbo model that came with the aero roof.

This might be a mix up on the name and/or the spec. My worry is that it might be an NA-T (NA engine with a turbo added). Can you grab any pictures of it and post on here? A model and/or chassis number would be good to check as well. It's mentioned as low mileage and since many cars are known here it's always best to check here before buying.

What is the companies name that's selling the car?

Welcome to the club by the way!

That is quite expensive! You mentioned it was an SZ-R in the first post, but then mentioned a turbo.

The aero top only came in TT auto and NA forms, but SZ-R is an NA. THe turbo's are all RZ, RZ-S or GZ. If it's a TT it should a a GZ as that's the only turbo model that came with the aero roof.

This might be a mix up on the name and/or the spec. My worry is that it might be an NA-T (NA engine with a turbo added). Can you grab any pictures of it and post on here? A model and/or chassis number would be good to check as well. It's mentioned as low mileage and since many cars are known here it's always best to check here before buying.

What is the companies name that's selling the car?

Welcome to the club by the way!

Cheers Homer!

Yes it was me getting confused, as there are so many verients for a noob to remember. It is the SZ-R with aerotop, I understand that it does not have a turbo.

I have not got any details about it as of yet, I really didnt know you guys could actually tell a specific supra from another!

Im still looking around, that was just the first Supra I have seen at a garage, the one that shone the light onto the Supra as a whole, I am so siked about getting one I really am, and obviouslyitsgoing to be quite a bit different from my previous car (A 1999 Impreza wrx) but the Supra is so different to many other cars, its the main reason I want to look into them.

Is it possible to add a turbo onto this model? And would it be wise to do so?

look in our for sale section theres some beautys in thereand all lovingly cared foryou said SZ/R thats A NON TURBO which you cannot upgrade which is far to much cash you can get a TT and change for that money---- look in our for sale section theres some beautys in there and all lovingly cared for

Just to restate above, that's a rediculous price for an NA aero, half that would be more like it!

For that sort of money you could be looking at a nice TT 6spd or top end TT auto aerotop. There's a few of each available on the forum now. I really wouldn't advise any single turbo at that price unless you have a lot of money to spend on it and run it.