The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Needing advice on suspension.

Guest BlackVelvetGuns

Guest BlackVelvetGuns

Hi, ive had my 1996 Supra TT for 3 years now and a year ago i upgraded to 19 inch wheels, 18's were on previously. Since they've gone on if im driving somewhere i haven't been before im constantly checking the road for potholes, dips etc. Even at slow speeds hitting a bump causes my drivers side front tyre to hit the underside of the arch. The suspension on the front is aftermarket gear which is a lowering kit, this has been fully extended but still isnt enough. Im considering buying standard struts and springs for the front to lift the car and hopefully eliminate the problem and enable me to drive over bumps in the road without stressing! A breakers yard has quoted 200 quid for the standard front struts and springs. Anyone with thoughts or previous experiences of the same kinda probs? The rear suspension is fine.

Guest BlackVelvetGuns

Hi, i have 245/35 on the front and 275/30 on the rear, i just picked the same sizes that were on the 18's at the time of buying the 19's. I think the front profile would be better as 30 like the rear but theres not much in it size wise. Spent too much money to go back to 18's mate and they did look a bit puny when they were on. A friend who runs his own garage reckoned putting standard suspension back on the front should cure the prob.

Guest BlackVelvetGuns

i think i might of mislead you on the suspension, the rear suspension is still standard i think. So at the mo it would be mismatched with the non standard gear on the front?

• 2 weeks later...

I have 19's on my car with Eibach lowering springs with new o/e shocks and dont get any problems with the wheel hitting the arch.

I tend to avoid any holes in the rd though :)

£200 for a pair of second hand dampers and springs is taking the p in my opinion, new dampers from Toyota are approx £100 each, new set of Eibach springs is around £200

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

You don't really want to be going lower than a side profile of 35 on the front. This will effect your handling as you won't have a strong enough sidewall. With regards to potholes I avoid them like the plague with I am on the road an I have 17's with stock tyre sizes.

I'd take DNK's approach, also get a geo done to make sure the 19's are sitting correctly.