The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Yellowing lights - Hydrogen Peroxide

jackso11

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will do.

Its annoying because I have now sanded and polished mine, they are nowhere near perfect as after a days work I just put them together againand back on the car.

I would really like to start with a pair of lights that had gone yellow and not been touched.

Anyway, if I don't find any lights and nobody has a 'doner' set I will use mine.

Probably and over christmas job.

So to do this you still have to remove the lense from the light, wouldn't it take less time to polish them up and safer?. Will be watching this thread to see how it goes, good luck.

I am guessing you have not tried polishing them yet!

Polishing takes ages and is really hard work. I did mine for an entire day and used my drill with a polishing disc and they still don't look a touch on new ones. I am hoping this is the holy grail in yellow removal......might not work, might just end up cleaning my old transformers instead :)

Edited by jackso11 (see edit history)

Guest mcphil199

Apart from this what have you guys found works well?? I used t-cut and a buffer there last saturday and they came up pretty well.... in fairness tho before hand they resembled two blocks of cheese atached to the front!!!

Same as mine, I thought they were really good until I drove around and parked next to another car with clear lights. now mine look cak.

On another note, the chrome had all started to peel so I painted them all black. Has anyone tried crome paint? I want the rings to be chrome again, looks way better.

• 3 weeks later...

for people waiting on this, my hydrogen peroxide got delivered but due to citylink being crap they drove off by the time I got to the door. They did that twice, plus the first time when I wasn't in.....an they seem to think it is best to keep it at the depot 37.5 miles away instead of their other depot 3 miles down the road.

So it got sent back and is being redelivered again to work weather permiting.

I have a set of lights to test on now but the chrome is peeling on them. Does anyone know how I can fix this with chrome plating? or has anyone ever found a good chrome paint? I know this is an age old question but someone must have an answer :)

I will document the progress :)

haha

I have just been reading up on Vacuum plating plastic, seems the way to get the chrome back on the lights. A place in birmingham will do headlights for less than £100. So, if my acid idea gets the lights crystal clear this could be a way of getting new lights for around £110.

I have a set of lights to test on now but the chrome is peeling on them.

Do you mean the chrome is peeling on the rings of your test set Jackso? If it's not the rings, you could just mask them off and paint them facelift style. If it is the rings peeling then vacuum plating seems to be the only way to do it.

I'm in the same boat, I ended up painting the whole insert black (which is grand as it fits in with my plans for the car) but the lenses are still letting them down. I've had them buffed, used compounds by hand, plast-x, all the suggested methods but they always go yellow again in no time. :rolleyes:

I'm down to trying to do the clear lense conversion next, and if (when) I cock that up then it'll be time to fork out for new facelifts. Interested to see how the peroxide goes though :)

I am in the same boat as you, painted them all black as the rings were peeling but the lenses let them down. Used lots of rubbing compounds of all types and they are just not 100% perfect. I can't find clear lenses.

Now I have the test lights but the chrome is peeling on the rings at the bottom. The hydrogen peroxide I have ordered is 35%.

Fingers crossed!