The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Viewing a 6speed TT tonight -any tips

Guest steveng

Guest steveng

Hi,

Going to see a 6 speed TT N reg with 80K.

Any pointers to look out for.

Load whistle from turbos ? Knackered. How much to fix?

Common problems that might be hidden from me.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Gordon.

Yeah you pointed out the obvious ones like excessive noise from turbos. They should whistle but not scream at you.

Also look out for modifications to the car, if they state its standard then make sure it is standard. Any problems caused by aftermarket parts may be troublesome to fix.

on the same hand dont be put off by aftermarket parts, if hes honest and has reciepts for the installation.

If the guy is honest with you, like mine was he told me front bumper was resprayed when he glanced a wall in a multistory car park, then you can be pretty sure it is all done correctly

Make sure all gears are used when driving,

wiggle the car from side to side when driving

Make sure you do a full lock turn in reverse and forward (important to listen for crunching noises)

dont know bout the turbo's ddont have any :(

press all buttons i didnt try the electric wing mirrors and only one moves :twak:

check for spare wheel and tool kit, have a quick look under car for dents and that everything looks ok, check where car was parked for oil marks on road.

all can think of on top of head

people must hate me when coming to buy a car :D

Guest steveng

Cheers

Hopefully by tonight i will be the proud owner of a 6 speed TT supra.

The one im going to see is in the autotrader for £9250ono in Hamilton.

Black standard car, anyone know it?.

Cheers

Gordon.

Take the rad cap off and check that it has coolant , preferably red

Take the oil filler cap off ..... should be gunge free and not burnt smelling

Look at the IC , check for corrosion and damaged fins

Check the rad for the same....

If its a UK check for oil leaks from the diff cooler/pipes

Check Vin plate axle code...... if it ends in b it has an lsd

Check the intercooler !!. It's on the drivers side behind the front inicator, give it a gentle prod and see if it falls apart as there are plenty of knackered (uk mainly) ones around now and a replacement is around £600, with summer coming you need it to be in good nick to help keep the charge cool.

Guest steveng

Thanks for the advice guys, bought the supra for a good price.

Checked the turbos for blue smoke,all okay.Checked for damage engine and bodywork all okay, HPI ok.

Car needed one new rear tyre and had a hole in the exhaust a blittz i think middle pipe.

Needs timing belt done at 80K and alloys refurbished.

Engine runs sweet as a nut, gearbox fine but need to get tracking done.

Saying all that i got myself a standard 6speed dark blue TT for 8K, that must be the deal of the century. Guy was skint and didnt have the cash to fix up, didnt even clean the bloody car.

Gutted it this weekend and gave it a good autogleem polish and it has come up a treat.

Going to change everything that needs done before any mods.

Are bilstiens shocks standard, also car is so low i keep hitting the cat exhaust of my drive way.

Cheers

Gordon

:flame Dev

Good on ya budy, sounds like you got as really good deal there as U.K manuals are few and far between. Not all that suprised to hear it came up well with a bit of elbow grease as these are really well put together / finished cars. Did you get a chance to check the intercooler as like I said alot of the U.k ones are pretty well knacked now (mines like a Cadburys flake :eek: ) and it's the last thing you need on a turbo'd car when the temps rise. From what you've been told by the previous owner and read on here what extras / mods do you think it has ?.