The mkiv Supra Owners Club

na intake plenum butterfly

barneybrendan

It alters the volume of the intake runners, a system Toyota introduced to UK and European models with the MK1 MR2 engine. You lock it mechanically open, or control it via the ecu. I think it's the least of your worries, myself!

so is it a case of on tickover the butterfly is closed giving feed to each side and the more throttle you give it then it opens up so the air in each side mixes giving all runners an equal flow

that is one option but dont realy want to drop the size on the intake pipe from 3"to whatever it is on the standard y piece.

You're breaking some new ground (or at least old ground with many a crater in it) with the supercharger install as it is, if you want as little pain as possible just bung on a bit of hose to start with. Even if it chokes a chunk of power out, it's still not an issue until the supercharger is in, installed, mapped, working, and doesn't snap in half or jump the belt every time you rev it. Once you've got it all working, then do version 2 with a better intake manifold setup :) For now it's in the prototyping stage, so save your cash and sweat.

-Ian

No difference was noticed on a NA-T with the butterfly removed. Why not buy this off me http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=85709&highlight=big+intake it will fit the original throttlebody.

just got rid of a plenum that fits the same way.i want to keep it going over the engine so pipe work isnt all on one side.as the charger is monunted where aircon was and throttle body is on the back of that.i would of had the inlet and outlet for the charger and the plenum intake all in a small area.plus the intercooler pipes running from one side all the way to the other.

You're breaking some new ground (or at least old ground with many a crater in it) with the supercharger install as it is, if you want as little pain as possible just bung on a bit of hose to start with. Even if it chokes a chunk of power out, it's still not an issue until the supercharger is in, installed, mapped, working, and doesn't snap in half or jump the belt every time you rev it. Once you've got it all working, then do version 2 with a better intake manifold setup :) For now it's in the prototyping stage, so save your cash and sweat.

-Ian

that is true .plus it stays closer to the na setup.think i just needed somebody to tell me exactly that.plus i wasnt sure what the butterfly actually did

One of the first problems people fall down on is underestimating the shock loadings a S/C belt can impose on the S/C bracket and pulley system. Cogged belts are totally unforgiving, a Gilmer belt can at least slip. The bracketry for both the S/C itself, and all the drive pulleys need to be very stout and flex free. The belt needs adequate section, and the crank pulley / damper won't like loads on it that were never envisaged when it was originally specced. A from scratch turbo install is invariably far simpler than a supercharger.

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/wiki/index.php/TVIS_&_ACIS

It's the ACIS system. There are some excellent explanations of this, but they are in the form of SAE papers and you need to be a member to access them. As others have said, just ignore if for now :)

just had a look that explains how it works perfectly for me.plus i know what that was under the plenum now (the tank)have to go find it now sure its still in the shed.the system does actually make sense.

One of the first problems people fall down on is underestimating the shock loadings a S/C belt can impose on the S/C bracket and pulley system. Cogged belts are totally unforgiving, a Gilmer belt can at least slip. The bracketry for both the S/C itself, and all the drive pulleys need to be very stout and flex free. The belt needs adequate section, and the crank pulley / damper won't like loads on it that were never envisaged when it was originally specced. A from scratch turbo install is invariably far simpler than a supercharger.

all the bracketry is being made out of 5mm stainless plate.plus i have utilsed some of the original mounting brackets from the jag.the other plus side is the snout is the shortest production m90 snout.flex was definately a big conserne from the off.the charger is also getting bolted to the power steering pump bracket that used to connect to the aircon pump.i also have the jags original manual tensioner to be installed.