The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyres Again....

scooby_doo_do

Need yet another set of rear tyres, as the continental ones i've got have worn out like nothing on this planet...

But...

As i'm broke i need as cheap as possible.... Had a quick look on mytyres.net and they have something called Kumho KU19 285/30 R18 93Y, at a steal at £157 each.... I'm willing to try anything at the moment and i think any tyre i buy will last longer than the conti's i've currently got on. Anyone able to beat that price ?

Also..

Whats this about retreading tyres ? I read somewhere that places stick another layer of tread on your current tyres ? Surely not.... ?

Thanks.

Craig, - In the last 3 months total cost of car in excess of 2k....:(

My mechanic called me this morning to say I'm down to 1.4mm on my rears after a couple of months of fun - I'll be replacing them with the same 'cheap' Falken FK451's I have on there already, no complaints on grip, just on lifespan :)

I'm only on standard 17's but in a 275 width, they were around the £100 mark I think.

I had some retreaded tyres on my tt while i was waiting for new alloys and tyres to arrive. Imo dont bother as there no fun to drive on at all. I wont do that again, be better to put part worns on. I use a place nr Redditch and he gets good quality part worns from Germany i had 2 michelin pilots for the stock 17" rears 255x17 for £25 each which had lots of tread left.

His name is Simon 01527831829 he also does very good prices on new tyres as well, he's just quoted me £700 all inc of vat & fitting for 265x35x19 fronts and 295x30x19 rears g/y gd3's i think.

Regards

Dunk

I think the re-tread strips are something that articulated lorries use, never seen anything like that for car tyres and i would definitely avoid them even if they were available for cars since the cornering forces generated by supra would be huge, not something a lorry driver has to worry about.

Mcanny, just wondering what profile you have with those 275's, is the overall rolling radius slightly larger or smaller than standard and does the car sit differently. Also, do the 275's stick out a long way from the wheel edge, I would expect this to reduce the rigidty of the sidewall, did you notice much change in the handling.

Originally posted by Zed

I think the re-tread strips are something that articulated lorries use, never seen anything like that for car tyres and i would definitely avoid them even if they were available for cars since the cornering forces generated by supra would be huge, not something a lorry driver has to worry about.

Mcanny, just wondering what profile you have with those 275's, is the overall rolling radius slightly larger or smaller than standard and does the car sit differently. Also, do the 275's stick out a long way from the wheel edge, I would expect this to reduce the rigidty of the sidewall, did you notice much change in the handling.

When I was up at Envy last year the place that fitted my tyres also had a department for making remoulds for lorries - fascinating process to watch and far more involved than I thought it would be but as you say it's not the sort of tyre anyone should be considering for a car with any amount of performance.

I've got 275/40/17's on the back - rolling radius is slightly bigger and apparently my speedo should read a bit slower but according to my GPS it's still too high :)

I've got 245's up front too - car felt a lot better afterwards but the previous tyres weren't the best (P6000's).

Looking forward to getting it back tomorrow, new rubber and a set of Eibach's to play with.