The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New EU Legislation for new Cars

Jellybean

For New Cars

(DRL)“Daytime Running Light” from 2011

In order to improve road safety, the European Commission will introduce “Daytime Running Light” from 2011 on all types of motor vehicles

■Mandatory electronic stability control (ESC) systems on new models and commercial vehicles by 2012 and on all new cars by 2014.

■Advanced emergency braking (AEBS) on large vehicles from 2013

■Lane departure warning (LDW) systems on large vehicles from 2013

■Low rolling resistance tyres (LRRT) on new models by 2012 and all new cars by 2014

■Tyre-pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) on all new models by 2012 and all new cars by 2014

■Wet grip safety requirements

GPS system to be introduced to limit you car to the speed limit of the specific road you car is identified to be located by GPS from 2013

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/e_i/n...le_7009_en.htm

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleases...guiLanguage=en

Agree with everythign except the speed-limiting GPS system. How are you supposed to overtake? Limiting a car like that will make it more unsafe as you are not fully in control of the car, and cannot exceed the speed limit in exceptional circumstances. Also, think how much revenue the Government will lose via speed traps! :D

And why do you need lights on during the day? If you can't see a car without it having lights on then you shouldn't be on the road!

Gps

Will be used to fine you soon as you creep over the limit.

Its only a matter of time before this is enforced, the technology has been available for a long time.

Although could you argue human rights and invasion of privacy due to them knowing exactly where you are and where you have been, unless its purely a oneway system that restricts the speed but doesnt report anything back or records it for later analysis :search:

Guest SupraGTE

To use the lights alltimes when u drive has been mandatory for over 10-15 years in many of the Nordics,i think it is a good thing, as it is proven to help, i see the benefit now when i moved to belgium,here you do not need to have lights on

Although could you argue human rights and invasion of privacy due to them knowing exactly where you are and where you have been, unless its purely a oneway system that restricts the speed but doesnt report anything back or records it for later analysis :search:

I can see it being hacked and used by the next generation of criminals, break into the DVLA records, look up the cars location via GPS, and viola! Cars easily stolen to order.

To use the lights alltimes when u drive has been mandatory for over 10-15 years in many of the Nordics,i think it is a good thing, as it is proven to help, i see the benefit now when i moved to belgium,here you do not need to have lights on

Isn't it common sense though? If it's dull or poor weather conditions; you put your lights on. If it's a bright sunny day, your lights will not be noticable.

Guest SupraGTE
If you can't see a car without it having lights on then you shouldn't be on the road!

wrong :) even if your eyes are perfect you will spot a car with lights on much earlier than without, and the colour of the car does not matter

Guest SupraGTE
Isn't it common sense though? If it's dull or poor weather conditions; you put your lights on. If it's a bright sunny day, your lights will not be noticable.

i understand your comments as it was the same reactions in the nordics when it came many years ago. many people where angry also

but when you have been driving with this rule

law for over ten years and then move to a country with no need for lights you will notice the difference. and the time it takes for people in crossroads as they have hard to see if the car is moving or parked take ages for some people. i was against it also before :)

Edited by SupraGTE (see edit history)

wrong :) even if your eyes are perfect you will spot a car with lights on much earlier than without, and the colour of the car does not matter

So on a typical day, not dull, not raining, I would spot a black car with side-lights (not headlights) on before I spot a yellow one without? Have their been tests? Can I see some results?

How about loud exhausts? Surely they must be encouraged as you will hear the car coming so will notice it sooner?

And aren't under-car neons illegal as they are a 'distraction' for other drivers? I'd have thought drawing attention to your car would increase road safety as you'd be more aware of it? Seeing a Lambo or a Ferarri would be equally as distracting, if not more so than a car with green lights underneath, yet they are perfectly legal to drive.

I don't understand the 'logic' behind these laws, if there is any at all? Just more silly rues for us to follow and more ways to fine us.

i understand your comments as it was the same reactions in the nordics when it came many years ago. many people where angry also

but when you have been driving with this rule

law for over ten years and then move to a country with no need for lights you will notice the difference. and the time it takes for people in crossroads as they have hard to see if the car is moving or parked take ages for some people. i was against it also before :)

I'm not angry about it, I just don't fully understand.

from a personal view being colourblind when people have their lights on its sooooo much easier for me to see them especially if they drive black, silver or grey cars.

This is a good point, one which I had not concidered :)

Guest SupraGTE
So on a typical day, not dull, not raining, I would spot a black car with side-lights (not headlights) on before I spot a yellow one without? Have their been tests? Can I see some results?You will find result ...Google is your friend :), imo the colour of the car depends on surroundings also and other factors,"

How about loud exhausts? Surely they must be encouraged as you will hear the car coming so will notice it sooner?

that should also be correct i think, but people in the houses and etc will start complaining , then if noise is diturbing etc etc , most probably it would scare away deer and rest of animals from roads also :) "

And aren't under-car neons illegal as they are a 'distraction' for other drivers? I'd have thought drawing attention to your car would increase road safety as you'd be more aware of it? Seeing a Lambo or a Ferarri would be equally as distracting, if not more so than a car with green lights underneath, yet they are perfectly legal to drive.

The neon thing i agree with you i think they should be legal : )

I don't understand the 'logic' behind these laws, if there is any at all? Just more silly rues for us to follow and more ways to fine us.

see comments, im only reflecting my experience with both

Edited by SupraGTE
spelling problems (see edit history)

MORE INFO

The options list the EU is adding to your next car:

2011 Daytime running lights€100 2012

Tyre pressure monitoring system €100

Stability Control €300

Low rolling-resistance tyres €100

2013 Seatbelt reminders €100

Lane departure warning system€600

2014 E-call emergency service call-out €250

Emergency brake assist €150

2015 GPS-linked speed limiters€300

2016 Pyrotechnic bonnets €500

Total €2,500

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...260343981.html

A ton to wire your lights on permanently, licence to make money anyone?

Pyrotechnic Bonnets, sounds like fun.... :)

not really

the Pyrotechnic Bonnets are currently on the new Skyline as standard ,

One of the guys in the uk tipped a van in traffic causing the dampers to initiate, cost him 11K sterling to get them reset from Nissan, a thread is on the GTR skyline UK club site

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/127250-ac...hat-i-did.html

not really

the pyrotechnic bonnets are currently on the new skyline as standard ,

one of the guys in the uk tipped a van in traffic causing the dampers to initiate, cost him 11k sterling to get them reset from nissan, a thread is on the gtr skyline uk club site

bahahahaha

not really

the Pyrotechnic Bonnets are currently on the new Skyline as standard ,

One of the guys in the uk tipped a van in traffic causing the dampers to initiate, cost him 11K sterling to get them reset from Nissan, a thread is on the GTR skyline UK club site

I read about that, stupidly stupid for a couple of bonnet dampers & some sensors! The new Mercedes E Class also has the same system, so imagine when they have to get the dampers replaced if they have a small knock. Thing is, these are one use systems so they can not really be "reset".

If these are the new rules then I'll make sure I get a older car. I was going to buy a Nissan 350Z but when I said you have to pay £400 a year for road tax I was no way, then I thought...maybe a Honda S2000, its only a 2.0 litre engine...erm that will be £400 please! :blink:

All these are money spinners, I agree with the safety aspect of its great but charging you £2,5k for all this I don't agree. Also with the £400 a year tax they get, which they hardly use to fix the roads I would think they would help towards things like this.

GPS is not a problem, I am sure after a few weeks we will find out how to take it out & stick it on my bicycle. :D