The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheels - powder coat or paint?

jim

I picked these wheels up from Gaijin a couple of days ago, they're genuine splits and in staggered fitment, japanese, but unsure of the manufacturer. They're in need of a refurb which is all good, as whatever I bought was going to be redone black.

lovely car, engine bay's awesome! Hope you don't mind me posting the pics Gaijin.

They're going all black, probably without centre caps but I'll get a set of blanks done in black too just in case. I'm 99% certain that I'm going to go for a satin powder coated finish like in the first picture below, although when I saw pics of Pred's car with the wheels painted in a gloss finish (second picture) it gave me a few second thoughts.

What I'm not so sure about is whether it's straight forward to powder coat split rims, I had read or heard somewhere that there was a chance that the coating could crack when being re-assembled. The condition of the centres in particular mean that some sort of blasting will be necessary first (bead/sand/soda) and I'm guessing that painting isn't practical after blasting as the blasting will leave the surface pitted. Has anyone had any experience of coating split rims and have they been ok when re-assembling? Or, has anyone had their wheels painted after they'd been blasted, and if so what was the finish like?

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/gallery/TOYOTA/SUPRA/MKIV/C14/zoomed/09.jpg

lol, I know, I must have wrestled with that decision for all of 5 seconds when I saw the two pics side by side (no offence Pred!), it's whether it's ok to coat splits that I'm wondering about, as I can achieve the same look with paint but I don't know if the blasting will mean that painting is out.

Thanks for the reply Chris :)

I have been wondering about anodising, there's a company local to me that do it but I haven't spoken to them yet. I have a set of aluminium tuner nuts that I want to get anodised, any idea of a ball park cost to get them done (so that I know if I'm getting a good deal, or getting my eye wiped!)?

I want a satin/matt finish for the wheels themselves so ruled out anodising for that. I assume then that soda blasting will leave a good enough finish to allow me to get them painted?

I tried annodising my outer lips but it didnt work very well as there such a deep dish on my rears.

I ended up powdercoating mine in gloss Black, ive had no problem with the powder coat cracking around the splitrim bolts either and they've been done a while.

Also resealing them is easy so dont worry about that, a lot of wheel refurb places make a big deal out of doing splitrims when its quite easy just time consuming.

The 1st thing is take them apart then get them chemically stripped and youll then see how good the surfaces are, fine media blasting wont mark the lips and to be honest if theres no pit marks the best thing i found was to scotchbright them as in my 2nd pic.

A few pics of mine for you :)

DSCF0461.JPG

DSCF0471.JPG

P1000350.jpg

DSCF0571.JPG

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Thats good to know as the company I used wasnt happy working with magnesium wheels, something about them exploded if not treated properly :D

I think you were being fed a line there matey.

The only thing with magnesium is that if it catches fire, it's a real pain to extinguish.

When I was at Williams the machine shop were milling some part in magnesium over the weekend. It caught fire and they couldn't put it out. Destroyed a 1/4 million pound machine centre. :blink:

Ian Jemison Engineering are good, for blasting, repairing and powder coating rims. I even trust him with magnesium rims. £50 per rim if they are one piece, or ready stripped down 3 piece rims I think.

http://www.alloywheelrepairs.com/

I had the wheels on my 1st Supra refurbed by Ian Jemison. His work is 1st class, although you do pay for that.

It cost me £650 to refurb the wheels. This included stripping the wheels, assembly, new bolts and powder coating in gold and silver. They still look like new and this was done well over a year ago.

(The wheels fitted to the Supra at the back)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I went for satin black in the end and have just got the wheels back from the powder coaters, they look awesome imo :) I'm a bit disappointed in the finish on one, there are a few tiny pit marks where I guess air escaped during the heating/drying part of the process, but that's being picky really as it's only noticeable when close up. Busting to get the tyres on and onto the car.