The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Reliability - be honest with me

thebluefox

Alright guys,

Theres been a couple of similar threads, but they're over 2 years old so I wanted to get some views from now, as these cars are now that much older.

Basically, the Clio is starting to get on my nerves, theres something else that needs sorting every other week.

As a daily drive, no silly amounts of power, are they reliable? I'm more interested in TT's, as from what I've read N/A's aren't much quicker than the Clio.

Seeing this car has made me want one NOW!

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=8984&d=1191575148

Cheers fellas :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats something else I've been thinking about, a tank, £40, lasts me about 10 days ish, depending how I drive. Standard commuting etc. Do TT's drink the stuff?

That really depends how far you actually drive in 10 days lol - could be 20miles or 700 miles!!!

The supra has been the moset reliable car iv ever owned. there will always be little issue's with car even with Supra's, but the build quality of the Supra is 2nd to None, you wont be dissapointed if you go down the Supra route for a good reliable car thats used daily. :D

Well, I probably drive on average 25 miles a day, its a 20 mile round trip for work, plus similar if i go out in the evening/weekends.

Say I get 250 miles to a tank.

So your clio costs £40 to fill up and you get 250 miles? if so thats pretty sh!t to start with !!

for £40 in a TT Supra you can probably expect between 160-220 miles depending how heavy your right foot is :)

Hmm, £40 for 250 miles is about 31mpg

mpg = 4.546 * (miles) * (£ per litre) / (price paid)

A standard TT supra can do low 20s mpg, a standard NA supra mid 20s.

I'll change tack before the mpg police come along:sly: :)

Supras are very reliable. Typical Japanese engineering really. The vast majority of the stories you read about them breaking down (and there aren't that many in comparison with other cars) will be due to poorly-conceived or -funded engine modifications, and/or lack of maintenance to the point of neglect.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Running costs will be higher than the clio no doubt and as for reliable engine wise im very sure they are. In the last year i had to replace full brakes,suspension shocks/springs, exhaust system 1 set of front tyres and 2 sets of rear tyres so far its been fine lol, as for the n\a not being much quicker than the clio think toyota said the n\a was 6.2 0-60 top end of around 150 which is no slouch

Ph.1 172 0-60mph is 6.8secs 0-100mph 18.3secs (can't find weight but think about 1050kgs)

Ph.2 172 0-60mph is 7.1secs 0-100mph 18.9secs 1110kgs

172 Cup 0-60mph is 6.7secs 0-100mph 17.7secs 1021kgs

Clio 182 0-60mph is 6.6secs 0-100mph 17.5secs 1110kgs

182 Cup 0-60mph is 6.5secs 0-100mph 17.3secs 1090kgs

Trophy 0-60mph is 6.6secs 0-100mph 17.3secs 1090kgs

Clio 197 0-60mph is 6.9secs 0-100mph ???? 1240kgs

197 Cup 0-60mph 6.9secs 0-100mph ???? 1220kgs

Clio 200 Cup 0-60 6.6secs 0-100mph 16.7secs 1204kgs

that shows the supra n\a on data is faster than the quickest clio and the supra weighs about 400kg more all im saying is dont discount the n\a many people are happy with it and its a big jump from a clio :p

My UK-Spec has done over 220000 miles now; I've put ~ 60000 of those on myself. So far I've broken down once, but that was just a loose jubilee clip on the stock intercooler piperwork. Refitted hose, tightened clip and off I went.

*Touches wood*

I've had both MK2, MK3 and now MK4. Generally they fully live up to the Toyota hype about reliability. MK2s does rust and MK3s do have issues with the head gasked, but that is about it. I had trouble with aircon on both 2 and 3.

But the MK4 (had it for over 3 years now, a 93 j-spec) haven't missed a beat or had any problems at all. Only things I've had issues with has been parts I've added or had added myself. I was 100% stock and I'm BPU now with stock body and a CW suspension. If you are able to get a stock one and maybe even a j-spec (to dissmiss any issues of rust) and give it some nice treatment against rust, you should be fine.

Expect your gas bill to double..

Humm, ok. Looks like I'll have to make sure I can afford the petrol rather than the car then. I run my own company and I'm currently not getting paid reguarly.

Its good to know that they're generally solid cars though.

And, I've got a mk1 clio, similar to a Williams, 0-60 is just over 7secs i believe, when its running right.

When buying try to get a standard one as the majoraty have the hks filter on them and it is very poor for filtration, also be sure of the milege on the car, and when looking check the brakes as when i bought mine they had been bish boshed to get through the m.o.t

"Reliability - be honest with me"

As supposed to bullshitting you in order to get a a clio driver into the supra fold......:blink:

do your re-search dude, its been covered here and highlighted in the FAQ sections.

I struggle to understand what sort of reliability people expect from a 16yr old car - every car is different, some more reliable than others but everything has an age.

2nd'ly - if you are concerned about fuel costs then supras arent for you - why even bother.

finally - lets see whether you can afford to pay the membership for the club first......

2nd'ly - if you are concerned about fuel costs then supras arent for you - why even bother.

Noooo! :) I disagree. See post 15 in particular. When someone is wondering whether to buy a supra is exactly the right time for them to ask about mpg.

finally - lets see whether you can afford to pay the membership for the club first......

Harsh. Bluefox, if you decide to buy one the club membership fee will be money well spent.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

do your re-search dude, its been covered here and highlighted in the FAQ sections.

If you read my first post you'll see I've searched and read through similar topics but the ones I found were a year or two old and I wanted some up to date opinions.

Funnily enough, this is why I'm asking. I can look at mpg figures all I want, but there's no better insight than talking to Supra owners themselves.

I can afford it, but when and how I pay up is none of your business TBH. If I do decide to buy one (its looking pretty likely at the minute) then I'll pay up in a heartbeat because the majority of people on here are helpful members and make a club I'd quite like to be a part of.

But, if some members are going to begrudge me a slither of advice simply because I haven't paid a membership fee, then maybe I'll rethink that.

MASSIVE thanks to all those who have put their helpful opinions accross, its more than appreciated.

"Reliability - be honest with me"

As supposed to bull$#@!ting you in order to get a a clio driver into the supra fold......:blink:

I struggle to understand what sort of reliability people expect from a 16yr old car - every car is different, some more reliable than others but everything has an age.

Blimey dude whats up with you?? :blink: