The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why do people hide... (the important bit of a thread title?)

SupraRider

Depend where it the pics are posted as if its in Supra chat then the world and his wife can see the pics and you never know who is looking!! etc

Also ive had my number plate "cloned" before and had the Police in contact with me for parking offences and not paying for petrol etc

Thats only one side of it though.

You could think that if someone sees a Sup on here just for example and then sees one local thats similar and reads the spec on it on here and then sees the plate and realises that its the one that lives round the corner from them then they could go round and take a look so to speak etc etc

I see...I suppose its also dependent if you live in a safe and secure area. It won't be much of a problem if thats the case.

Thats only one side of it though.

You could think that if someone sees a Sup on here just for example and then sees one local thats similar and reads the spec on it on here and then sees the plate and realises that its the one that lives round the corner from them then they could go round and take a look so to speak etc etc

But surely they don't have to look into a supra forum to clone plates?? registration plates are all on cars parked all over the streets!

Seeing a car just like yours parked in the street is very hit and miss though. If I had, for example, a 2004 British Racing Green Jaguar XKR and I wanted to get up to no good, I could wait until I saw one just like it out on the roads, but that might take a while, months probably. Or... I could go to the XKR owner's club website, search for BRG 2004, and I could probably choose from a selection of number plates if the club members hadn't blanked them out.

Thats one of the reasons, plate cloning, but the main reason is that John Smith can find out your cars address from the DVLA. Organised gangs steal cars to order!!

Holy crap I never knew that!
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_shock.gif

This John Smith must be known to the rozzers though?!

It is a bit of a pain though when looking at for sale threads, if I see a car that I'm interested in then I need the reg for an insurance quote and hpi check. If the plates are hidden then I need to message the seller and ask for the reg.

erm ... isn't that what most people kinda do when they like a car though - contact the seller to discuss and ask some more questions?

:search:

erm ... isn't that what most people kinda do when they like a car though - contact the seller to discuss and ask some more questions?

:search:

But someone who wants to clone your car could also call the seller, "discuss and ask some more questions and get what he needs". :)

So why cover your plates up, If they want your reg, They will get it.....