The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much for 1996 N/A 5speed - Newbie

Guest steveng

Guest steveng

Hi,

Im new to supras, have had 2 fto's and just sold my subaru wrx.

Im looking for a N/a with either 5 or 6 speed box.

How much should i pay for a

94- 97 one.

Don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks

Gordon.:flame Dev

First thing is your age range as you say covers 5 and 6 speed na's which means it also bridges the pre and post facelift range (6-speeds only on facelift cars afaik)

Other than the 6 speed aspect the facelift consists of mainly cosmetic stuff, rear, headlights & sidelights changed to the sort or charcoal / gunmetal finish, dash layout changed etc......

94 5 speed manual anywhere from £6500+ i'd say

97 6 Speed Facelift car approx £8500-9500 as just ball park figures

prices can be influenced alot by colour, red and whites don't tend to be as popular/expensive.

Guest steveng

Anyone there got any idea how to value supras?

Going to look this weekend so would be good to know some average prices.

ie

Auto 3.0 N/a = £

Manual 3.0 N/a = £

Turbo Auto = £

Turbo Manual = £

UK Turbo Manual = £

Cheers

Gordon.

Firstly, welcome :thumbs:

Secondly, I was going to post a similar post myself. I have £7G to spend and was wondering if this would squeeze me a NA. From looking through autotrader it would appear I could but would I just end up with a shitter? Am I best saving a bit more and getting something better/TT?

Originally posted by steveng

ie

Auto 3.0 N/a = £

Manual 3.0 N/a = £

Turbo Auto = £

Turbo Manual = £

UK Turbo Manual = £

Cheers

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

No good at valuing Supe's myself but you may also want to consider the aerotop versions which tends to bump up the price of a Supe.

Auto NA Aerotop

Manual NA Aerotop

Auto TT Aerotop

Originally posted by steveng

Well its a bit difficult to judge but my estimates below would be for a 1994 car with around 40-60k on the clock(not really going to be possible on a UK car)

Auto 3.0 N/a = £ Starts from around 5-7k

Manual 3.0 N/a = £ Starts from around 6-8k

Turbo Auto = £ Starts from around 9-12k

Turbo Manual = £ Starts from around 11-14k

UK Turbo Manual = £ Starts from around 10-13k (not much chance of finding one with under 60k, would more likely be 90k+)

HTH

Getrag, If I was you i'd save a bit more maybe up to 9 or 10k? have you got up to 2k for insurance aswell?

Originally posted by Getrag

Tom, yeah, ive got it set aside for all the other things, thats what i have to spend on the car. Just wondering if it would be better getting a really nice MR2, Celica, Calibra....etc.

The NA seems to be getting much harder to insure for under 25s - worth considering.

Tom, yeah, ive got it set aside for all the other things, thats what i have to spend on the car. Just wondering if it would be better getting a really nice MR2, Celica, Calibra....etc.

Hmmm.. well thats a tough one, have you driven an MR2 or Supe?

would you also only be looking at the MR2 turbo? so therefore it would be n/a supe vs MR2 tubby?

Faye, you trying to keep the NA aerotop territory to yourself? :p

Tom, I've driven a TT which is probably a bad thing....nothing else will compare :( Not driven a NA or MR2turbo which i will obviously to see which i like. But i know id rather have the supe to pose in :p

Faye, you trying to keep the NA aerotop territory to yourself? :p

Tom, I've driven a TT which is probably a bad thing....nothing else will compare :( Not driven a NA or MR2turbo which i will obviously to see which i like. But i know id rather have the supe to pose in :p

Not at all :) But you'll have to pay a pretty penny for an NA Aerotop facelift like mine, some mad fools are selling them about 16k on autotrader and they are slightly older than mine.

All I saying is that you may actually find it cheaper to get a TT insured and therefore have a bigger budget for the car.

Yeah, they can get expensive cant they. Oh decisions decisions. Did you find insuring a NA Aero would be the same as a jap TT?

NA is more expensive, but then I picked the car for its year and aerotoppyness - can't get a comparable TT.

I can get a TT (UK or Jap) insured for a lot less. I really don't think you'd gain on the running costs argument either - I seem to spend loads on my car ( it likes non essential presents).

If its an everyday car you will save quite a bit on fuel, going by my recent experiences of running both a manual NA and auto TT.

Getrag its a shame your way up north or you could have had a go in mine, and i could of given you the hard sell :D (after all its that lovely blue like your Avatar)

over recent days i've been alternating between the NA and TT (stock) and am still impressed by the NA's pace and handling.......... i want to keep them both!!

Do you want a N/A definetly? Why not the TT, the step up from your WRX would be a TT, as the N/A is slower. And the Supra being bigger than the Impreza this would make the Supra seem even slower, you'd want the TT eventually :)

But if it's just looks, then the N/A is a great choice, and it's fairly quick too :thumbs:

If it wasn't for the ridiculous insurance of the NA i'd keep it (at the risk of repeating myself i will just say again for the record that doing online quotes the 98 NA with a clean license (none of my current 6 pts and old 3+yrs 3pts declared) the quote was still more than for a 93 GZ with all the points declared:conf: )

In isolation the NA is a great car, forget the ultimate performance for a minute and look at what it gives you for the money compared to other makes models.

Cheap 93/94 TT or 97/98 NA is a difficult call when on a budget (i know!) i say just be selective in your purchase of whatever model you choose (that'll be me sitting on the fence then!)

Got into this a bit late, but I've just bought a '96 n/a 6 spd from Japan. Cost £6200 ish for the car plus about another £2000 to get it over here and on the road (convo, tests, etc.). Thats a low mileage, facelift 6 spd for around £8000 - shweet! :)