The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member from Finland!

Guest Twilight

Guest Twilight

Hello everybody,

I'm just a average 23 year old finnish piston(and sometimes rotor) head. After trying various japanese vehicles i finally found myself thinking about the JZA80. Cars in my past include a quite various types of japanese cars. Let me introduce them off to you.

First one was this normal 1991 ED9 Honda CRX where i swapped a B18C- integra engine. It was my first car and i can say it was worth every penny. I had it for two years and after finishing the swap i sold it for not having any more plans for it. Yeah you can always do this and that for the car but basically its the same.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1473/crx007.jpg

After keeping myself in the FWD / N/A for few years i thought that the turbocharged cars were always faster. Thatswhy i wanted to enter this exciting world of RWD / Turbo. And what would be better vehicle to do that than a S14A Nissan 200SX? I did the basic tune-up EXH/INT/BOOST/FUEL and ended up having a 250hp SR20DET with fuel consumption of a viper :D Then i sold it and i wanted to try out the notrorius 4WD- monster which i used to see on the television at late 90's.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6401/kuva1032.jpg

So i went into Sweden and found myself in the small town's airport. Later i found out that i went to buy this CP9A Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Mäkinen Edition. The car was absolutely STUNNING, it looked just like in some of the the wet dreams i had when i was 15. This car was ultra- rare with LHD- steering. I had to pay a big sum of cash for this one, and later found out that it wasnt exactley worth it. I was happy with the absolute stunning performance and looks of it. But it didint quite satisfy the motoring- needs that i would have wanted. It was basically a good base for a rallycar, nothing else. It lacked the quality and it was a harsh ride. The engine was a gem and otherwisely it was a good car. I struggled to sell it since it was quite expensive compared to the RHD- models that was just starting to become more and more available.

http://nikon.1g.fi/kuvat/Tapahtumat/Radalle.com%20Ahvenisto%20Finals%2027.9.08/DSC_0003.JPG/_small.jpg

Now i'm in the situation that i would need to buy a another car. I was thinking about jumping into our side of continent and buy a BMW M- series car. But i wanted to buy something else and the cheap- JDM vehicles got my attention. Especially that little, very beautiful Mazda that cought my eye. And dreams one again, but this time dreams were wet cause of the fuel the 13B-REW burned. :D So i ended up buying a 1995 FD3S ëfini RX-7 from UK. It was recentley rebuilt and ti was running nicely. And boy was she beautiful. Some said that the 13B-REW twin- rotor engine wasn't up for the harsh finnish- winter. But i'll say they just dont have the experience. Wankel started up EVERY time i wanted to wake the beast. Even in the coldest times when needle drops down to -25 degrees. It was lovely winter- vehicle and i think the rear- wheels travelled 10x the distance compared to the front tires. Front- midship layout was absolutely great for every means. But i came to the mind that although the lovely looks and the great handling, i found myself cold crying inside the blanket for the fragility of the twin- rotor engine and the fuel consumption. So i had to let it go once again.

Now we are living at March 2009 and i'm starting to look for another car. There are few cards left in my hand, few aces, king and one queen. I wanted to experience something that is enough diffrent and enough familiar (there isint any left after the RX-7) :D . I always thought of the "good old days" when driving these exotics. And i always wanted to have a beast N/A- engine once again, but i wasnt sure of the FWD layout. Now i picked up a AP1 Honda S2000 with the F20C- VTEC engine. It was a LHD- car once again and i enjoyed the whole summer driving topless. It was great time. The engine was awesome, the gearbox was even better and the front- midship layout was once again very good for the car. The car was great and only thing missing was the space. And i used it as a daily drive so there wasnt too much space left for anything. Honda had few minor problems which obviously was the dark side of cutting- edge technology used in the engine desing. The engine burned a little oil (which is the typical fault found in the early S2000's) and the space really started to bother me. Then i sold it at the end of the summer in 2009.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/820/103951800.jpg

Now i have a problem. I only have few cars left in my hand. Two aces and one king. I always liked the concept of having 4- door sedan with 4WD and a wicked turboengine. What are my option if i find Mitsubishi not up to my requirements? A Subaru, yes. This time i went off to UK once again to collect this immaculate (which i think stands above mint in the local chap's vocabularity :D) Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type-R. I'm currently driving it and it is an absolutely awesome machine. A DCCD (Driver controlled center differential) is the thing whats missing in the "normal" japanese 4WD's. This allows me to tackle corner after corner in the way i want and i can even use the handbrake to turn the car. No wonder the Tommi (Mäkinen) tunes Subarus for living. Its a great car but i know the winter will end some time and i'm looking for a new car.

Now i imagine myself in the situation after the winter. I have two aces in my hands. Another ace is JZA80- Supra TT Manual. And the other is BNCR33 Skyline GT-R. Now i'm starting to gather some info about these cars and it seems that the JZA80 takes the win by and inch (i remember somebody saying that it wont matter if its a inch or a mile) :D

The JZA80 seems to be a nice piece of machine. By no means i wont over- rate any vehicle but the JZA80 has few points ahead of the BNCR33. This time i would want more of a GT- vehicle than all out racer. So i think the effortless 375lb-ft (with BPU) is the one i'm looking for. Also a ZF transmission and nice chassis should be up to the job.

So heres my story and my story with JZA80's are just to begin. Feel free to comment at anything, cars, weather, Finland, rally, f-1 or something else. I promise i'll have my own opinion aswell.

:D So hello and i'm sorry. For my english.

Edited by Twilight (see edit history)

Interesting to hear about your experiences with all those cars. You do quite a lot of car swapping..

Could be interesting to hear how you compare the Supra to them, driving in the Finnish weather. I think you will struggle at anything but summer drives. Would be cool to se a supra with spiked tyres though :D

I drive mine here in Denmark most of the year, except when they use salt on the roads or if there is a forcast of snow (had a MK3 and a MK2 before and used them in the snow, with difficulty)

Guest Twilight
I like it, more pictures is always a good thing, welcome aboard and good luck with your search, it looks like you have a history of finding good cars judging by those pictures :)

Well, money doesent always find good cars and vice versa. And not all of them were good. But thanks and i hope i will find a nice JZA80 next time.

Interesting to hear about your experiences with all those cars. You do quite a lot of car swapping..

Could be interesting to hear how you compare the Supra to them, driving in the Finnish weather. I think you will struggle at anything but summer drives. Would be cool to se a supra with spiked tyres though :D

I drive mine here in Denmark most of the year, except when they use salt on the roads or if there is a forcast of snow (had a MK3 and a MK2 before and used them in the snow, with difficulty)

Yeah, questions are welcome if you want to hear my realistic and honest opinions on the vehicles i've owned. And i think the 90's cars are the golden era, so i must live them now since in the future we all are driving TDI's.

I've had some experiences with JZZ30 Soarer and i do like the Toyota GT- style. And 1JZ was a nice engine so i expect the 2JZ to be even better. Sorry i had to put that picture.

We'll, i dont find the JZA80 that bad on the snow. Although the engine's output can be a little big for the snow and ice. But when it has a clutch pedal, i'm fine. Well for winter- beater, you would'nt expect it to be RX-7 either. :D

Aw, Denmark is cool. I always drive thru it when i'm picking cars from UK. In the last few years i've picked up seven diffrent vehicles from there.

:welcome: TTC

Great background of yourself and English is very good! :thumbs:

You have a lovely background of cars & I think the Supra would top it off nicely. You have joined the correct forum for the MKIV Supra. A few members are selling some really good examples if you look in the for sale section. I'd look around on the forum to learn as much as possible. Reliability wise the Supra is very hard to beat!

Good luck!

Guest Twilight

Thank you. Luck is one thing i need, another one is money.

Uploaded some pics of the CRX and S14A.

:welcome: TTC

Great background of yourself and English is very good! :thumbs:

You have a lovely background of cars & I think the Supra would top it off nicely. You have joined the correct forum for the MKIV Supra. A few members are selling some really good examples if you look in the for sale section. I'd look around on the forum to learn as much as possible. Reliability wise the Supra is very hard to beat!

Good luck!

Thank you Abz. This forum looks very nice and feels like that too. Yeah, one thing in mind that i could buy my next car from some member possibly. I'm just quite picky on the exterior looks and i'm not a keen fan of excessive exterior modifying. And what comes between BNCR33 and JZA80 is that the Supra is far more simpler than the Super-Hicas and ATESSA-ETS- equipped superhyper4wd- bling- skyline. Not that it would'nt be a good car but there is quite alot things to go wrong. The RB26DETT itself is a nice engine, but any work into it might cost you a big penny.

Thank you Abz. This forum looks very nice and feels like that too. Yeah, one thing in mind that i could buy my next car from some member possibly. I'm just quite picky on the exterior looks and i'm not a keen fan of excessive exterior modifying. And what comes between BNCR33 and JZA80 is that the Supra is far more simpler than the Super-Hicas and ATESSA-ETS- equipped superhyper4wd- bling- skyline. Not that it would'nt be a good car but there is quite alot things to go wrong. The RB26DETT itself is a nice engine, but any work into it might cost you a big penny.

Well we do have some unmolested ones which have not had tacky body kits fitted.

You should be able to find one which has been cared for by a previous member to your requirements.

Failing this we have Traders on the forum who can help you source the ideal car which you want. Jurgen is well known on the forum to import cars to customer satisfaction. He has a very good reputation, gathering from members responses.

Understand what you mean about the RB25DETT, I had my car dyno'ed yesterday & it produced 352bhp. It is a stock TT Auto with no cats running at stock boost (0.8 bar), the engine has done 103k! Speaking to my colleague who owned a R33 GTR he advised his GTR was a money pit to gain a lot more power & was surprised at my result!

They are both brilliant cars, and the both have good & bad points.

IMO when choosing between these two cars it normally down to personal preference.

Guest Twilight

After looking for some JZA80's from Japan. It seems that there isint too much cars available. Compared into the BNCR33 Skyline GT-R. Where have all the good cars gone? :)

I dont want to have any of these bodykits and thats one reason for not to find too many. It seems that mint JZA80 is going to cost a big penny... I hope its worth it.

Typical selling price in Japan is around 5000-7000GBP+ for cars i would want, then you'll have to add freight and import tax. So its somewhere around 9000-10000GBP landed.