The mkiv Supra Owners Club

spring assissters

beagle

Hi everyone need some help just got two wide rim wheels for the back, the offset is 22 yep not good .But if i have my arches rolled the will fit better . now at the mo can't get them done yet so i put some spring assisters in (the right size) it as solved the problem of rubbing BUT wots happening is im getting knocking every time i go over a bump, its coming from the tops . Is there any way i can do to stop this knocking till i get my arches done next year . cheers

Spring asissters?, on a supra?. This is a first.

Lets put aside for a second that you're driving around in a 3ltr engine RWD car in the worst months of the year with severly compromised handling, with wheels that don't fit.

So, I take it you know that spring assisters are meant for stuff like towing caravans. The fact that your car has no extra pressure on the rear probably means the assisters are jumping around in the spring when you go over bumps. Stick a towbar and caravan on the car, and it should sort the problem.

Failing that, get some wheels that fit, and bin the assisters.

There are two things you can do with spring assistors.

(1) is to fit a size that when your car is off the jack the spring coils are holding the assistor in place and NO extra ride height is added to the car.

(2) is to fit spring assistors in a bigger size so that when off the jack the car is lifted by a few mm.

Both cases 1 & 2 will help to stop the wheel arch coming into contact with the wheels.

But too small sized assistor will actually be 'tumbling' around between the coils. As mentioned above it could be this which is causing the knocking sound.

When it comes to handling, case 2 will have more of an effect than 1 in that it stops the spring compressing as much as it would normally.

I still run with case 1 and find it improves the body roll and bumping of the springs.

ie. I can go down a hill at speed and hit the compression without worry that the springs are going to hit maximum compression and rub on anything in the wheel arch.

They also help in controlling body roll on the compression side.

True, they were originally designed for towing etc. but they are used in race and rally these days too.

It provides a very simple fix to a compression problem without fitting different rate springs and/or ride height.